5th Grade Reading/ELA Teacher
The Academy for Urban School Leadership (AUSL) is a Chicago-based nonprofit school management organization operating in partnership with Chicago Public Schools (CPS). AUSL creates schools of excellence by developing highly effective teachers and transforming educational outcomes for our students. AUSL currently manages 31 schools serving 17,000 students. All school staff at AUSL schools are employees of CPS. The terms of the Board of Education/Chicago Teachers Union collective bargaining agreement shall apply unless waived in accordance with the collective bargaining agreement or in accordance with State law. For more information about our schools, visit auslchicago.org.
The Chicago Academy Elementary is seeking an experienced Intermediate Reading Teacher who is highly qualified to teach at an AUSL managed – Chicago Public School. This position will be staffed with a professional educator who has a proven track record of providing excellent learning experiences, utilizes a variety of instructional strategies, and deepens students' understanding of multiple literacy concepts. We anticipate candidates with superior content knowledge will collaborate with other classroom teachers in planning units that integrate learning and are aligned with Common Core standards.
- Set goals for student achievement supported by a guaranteed and viable curriculum
- Work collaboratively with peers to ensure student success while also participating on the multidisciplinary team to promote students' well-being
- Serve as an advocate for students with diverse needs
- Use informal and formal assessments to support the development of students
- Collaborate with fellow teachers to create a data-driven, learner-centered, friendly and safe environment demonstrating shared responsibility for achievement
- Design engaging and personalized instruction that nurtures and empowers the whole child resulting in improved student achievement
- Maintain a classroom that demonstrates discipline, order and rigor
- Engage in professional development and coaching to improve practice from full-time AUSL coaches and school administrators
Salary and compensation for after-school hours will be paid according to the Chicago Teacher Union (CTU) collective bargaining agreement.
Skills and Knowledge:
- Ability and willingness to learn and implement CKLA or Expeditionary Learning Curriculum
- Utilizes Shared Reading, Guided Reading, and Close Reading as an instructional technique
- Integrates writing into the reading curriculum.
- Knowledgeable of CCSS standards and strategies for ELA.
- Excitement for implementing Personalizing Learning to meet the needs of all students
- Excitement for implementing Personalized Learning to meet the needs of all students
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution in education
- Current Illinois Educator License with appropriate endorsements
- Urban / high-needs teaching experience preferred
- Reside within the city of Chicago (Residency waivers are provided for subject areas deemed by CPS as special needs. Contact CPS directly regarding residency waivers.)
In order to be considered for a position or an interview, applicants must:
Submit application online
Permit classroom observation/s by members of the teacher selection committee (if applicable) or teach a sample lesson
Permit one or more interviews by a school leaders/selection committee