JobID 5186 : Dual Language Science/Math (19-20) (#920299)
Who We Are:
Waukegan Community Unit School District No. 60 serves nearly 17,000 students in preschool through grade 12 and is located halfway between Chicago, Illinois and Milwaukee, Wisconsin on the shores of Lake Michigan. The District has one early learning center, 15 elementary schools, five middle schools and a high school program divided between two 9 – 12th grade campuses. The District encompasses portions of Waukegan, Beach Park and Park City.
Why We Do This Work:
The Waukegan Community Unit School District No. 60 has set an ambitious agenda for change, guided by the belief that all children, regardless of circumstances, can achieve at high levels and academic gaps can and will be eliminated with the support of teachers who deliver engaging, relevant, and academically rigorous instruction that excites students and instills a love of learning in them.
What We Need:
The Dual Language Classroom Teacher will be directly responsible to the building principal for all matters pertaining to the operation of the school plan, in-building administrative and personnel procedures, and general or district-wide policies. He/She will be indirectly responsible to the Director of English Language Learner Programs for all matters pertaining to curriculum, instructional methods, assessment and materials.
- Provide a personalized Dual Language instructional program that is compatible with the abilities, needs and learning characteristics of each student and complies with the District prescribed Dual Language model
- Implement prescribed District curriculum, instructional methods, and utilize materials within the parameters of the Dual Language program
- Create a child-centered learning environment that is characterized by the consistent application of sound mental health and educational psychology practices
- Attend training sessions offered at the District level to support Dual Language classrooms and instruction
- Employ creative methods of instruction and utilize a variety of bilingual and/or ESL materials within the structure of the designated curriculum
- Become acquainted with the characteristics, needs, abilities and problems of each child through personal interaction and by seeking information from psycho-educational reports, hearing and vision reports, staffing notes, end-of-the-year student status reports, etc.
- Inform the building principal whenever a student’s attendance is unsatisfactory
- Participate in formative and summative assessment for Dual Language and utilize data to improve instruction
- Report student address and telephone number changes to the Department of English Language Learner Programs
- Provide the building principal and the Director of English Language Learner Programs with an up-to-date copy of the schedule of classroom activities that the teacher is following
- Maintain up-to-date lesson plans that include all bilingual areas to be taught
- Use the designated methods of reporting student progress to parents
- Attend specified in-service meetings and conferences with the Director of English Language Learner Programs
- Develop a close relationship with each student’s parents or guardians
- Use teacher aides or helpers in accord with the designated job descriptions
- Perform such other professional duties as may be assigned by the building principal, Director of English Language Learner Programs and the Department of Academic Affairs.
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the essential functions and related requirements of persons assigned to this job. They are not intended as an exhaustive list of job duties, responsibilities, and requirements.
Qualifications: Must have valid Illinois Professional Educators License or a Transitinal Bilingual License.
Endorsement(s): Middle School Bilingual (Spanish). MIddle School Math and/or Science preferred.
Compensation: Per Teacher Contract
Application Deadline: Candidates must submit an online application by closing date.
Only online applications will be considered.
Waukegan Community Unit School District 60 offers employment opportunities without regard to age, gender, race, color, national origin,
religion, marital or military/veteran status, sexual orientation, pregnancy, parental status, genetics or disability.