JobID 189 : Dean of Students (#878571)
Job | Posted a year ago
Dean of Students
- Work closely with Principal to establish a positive, structured, achievement-oriented, and creative school culture.
- Support teachers to hold all students to high and consistent behavioral expectations.
- Serve as the point person for dealing with behavioral crisis-intervention and acute behavioral issues.
- Act as a resource to teachers in their instructional practice, especially as it relates to issues of discipline, relationships with students, classroom management, and school culture.
- Assist teachers, students, and parents, in collaboration with the social worker, in the effective creation and implementation of individual behavior plans.
- Lead staff efforts to ensure all students have excellent attendance and arrive at school on time, and work aggressively with students and parents to ensure excellent attendance and timeliness.
- Support a strong homework completion practice by monitoring submission and providing appropriate consequences and rewards.
- Help to reinforce the effective use of a school-wide behavior plan, including managing the school’s merit and demerit systems.
- Serve as the point person for discipline/culture issues.
- Ensure that the physical environment of the school reinforces school culture and facilitates student achievement.
- Be highly present and visible during school hours, relentlessly ensuring the school has an exceptional school culture.
- Proactively circulate throughout classrooms and hallways during the day, to gain valuable context on student behavior and help support positive school culture.
- Monitor behavioral pull-out and in-school suspensions.
- Model the school’s values and the standard for professional behavior.
- Attend and support Morning Circle, reinforcing expectations there.
- Lead the school wide Restorative Justice initiative and implement circles/conversations.
- Provide effective communication with teachers, students and parents regarding discipline and culture issues.
- Supervise breakfast, lunch, in-between class transitions, enrichment, and dismissals, making sure students are always where they are supposed to be and ensuring a professional school culture at these times.
- Manage detentions and suspensions
- Keep accurate student discipline records, documenting all conferences, suspensions, and phone calls for behavior and completing necessary reporting.
- Successful leadership experience in the area of school culture and student accountability, with urban teaching experience preferred. Demonstrated ability to support student personal growth and improvement in individual behavior as well as school wide stats such as suspension rates, attendance, timeliness.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and interpersonal skills
- Ability to engage the interest of and connect with young people, and hold them accountable to high standards
- Ability to work with a diverse group of children and to work well with parents
- Ability to engage in self-evaluation with regard to performance and professional growth of self and of responsible areas
- Ability to work effectively as a team member, bringing a positive attitude, strong personal drive and motivation, joy, flexibility and a sense of humor
- Administration/Supervision Certificate is helpful
- Required criminal history check, medical exam, and residency in New Jersey (residency within one year of hire)
- Proof of U.S. citizenship or legal resident alien status
- Commitment to Link Community Charter School’s mission, vision and Core Values
Performs other related tasks as assigned by the Principal and other central office administrators as designated by the Superintendent
Note: The above description is illustrative of tasks and responsibilities. It is not meant to be all inclusive of every task or responsibility.
- Bachelors from an accredited college or university in Elementary Education or related discipline applicable to school leadership and school culture/climate
- Masters Degree in related area a plus
Link Community Charter School (District)
23 Pennsylvania Avenue, Newark, NJ 07114
Compare with State
Amount per Student
State Average: $19,422 (USD)
% ELL Students
State Average: 5%
Student Teacher Ratio
State Average: 12.25
% IEP Students
State Average: 16%
State Average: 345