Special Education Autism Classroom Aide
Primary Purpose (funded 100% with local special education funds):
Help special education teacher provide for physical and instructional needs of students with disabilities in special education setting. Assist in implementation of classroom programs, including self-help, behavior management, and instruction programs. Work under general supervision of principal and immediate direction of certified teacher.
High school diploma or GED
Valid Texas educational aide certificate
Ability to work with children with disabilities
Ability to follow verbal and written instructions
Ability to communicate effectively
Knowledge of general office equipment
Some experience working with children preferred
Major Responsibilities and Duties:
- Help teacher prepare instructional materials and classroom displays.
- Help maintain a neat and orderly classroom.
- Help with inventory, care, and maintenance of equipment.
- Help teacher keep administrative records and prepare required reports.
- Provide orientation and assistance to substitute teachers.
- Work with individual students or small groups to develop motor skills and conduct instructional exercises assigned by teacher
- Support assigned students in all settings including general education classrooms.
- Assist with administration and scoring of objective testing instruments or work assignments.
- Assist students with physical disabilities according to their needs, including transferring to and from wheelchairs, lifting, or positioning.
- Assist students with physical needs and personal care, including feeding, bathroom needs, and personal hygiene.
- Help manage behavior of students. This includes intervening in crisis situations and restraining disruptive or dangerous student behavior as needed.
- Assume responsibility for learning and adapting to each student’s special medical, physical, communicative, and emotional needs.
- Help supervise students throughout the school day, inside and outside the classroom. This includes lunchroom, bus, and playground duty.
- Keep teacher informed of special needs or problems of individual students.
- Ride with the students on the buses as assigned.
- Maintain confidentiality.
- Participate in staff development training programs, faculty meetings, and special events as assigned.
- Punctuality in all areas.
- Maintains a positive attitude.
- Positive role model for all students.
- Reliability in all areas of work.
- Upholds and enforces school rules, administrative regulations, and state and local board policies.
- Exemplifies high standards of ethical conduct as described in board policy.
- All other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
Equipment Used:Wheelchair lift, ramp, personal computer, copier, and audiovisual equipment, assisted technology equipment or additional technology as needed by a student from his/her IEP.
Working Conditions:Mental Demands/Physical Demands/Environmental Factors:
Maintain emotional control under stress. Frequent standing, stooping, bending, kneeling, pushing, and pulling; regular heavy lifting of students. Biological exposure to bacteria and communicable diseases.