JobID 233 : Substitute Aide (#830151)
Job | Posted 7 days ago
Title: SUBSTITUTE ONE-ON-ONE AIDE
- Any combination of education and experience providing the required skill and knowledge for successful performance would be qualifying
- Substitute teacher certification preferred
- Typical qualifications would be equivalent to high school diploma or equivalent and successful completion of college level coursework or passing of examination as required by the No Child Left Behind Act
Knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Ability to carry out instructions furnished in written or oral form
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide, and perform arithmetic operations as needed to assist students
- Ability to understand, apply and use personal computers and software applications (e.g., Work, Excel)
- Ability to work with a diverse group of individuals
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of information regarding students, employees and others
- Ability to establish a supportive and compassionate relationship with students with special needs
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with students, staff and others contacted in the course of work
- Ability to report work orally or in writing to supervisor as required
- Effective writing and verbal communication skills
- Prior experience working with special needs children desirable
Reports To: Building Principal
Purpose: Under the direct supervision of a certified staff member, to assist certified professional staff with students in the classroom to meet instructional goals and objectives, and to free certified professional employees from non-professional duties to enable them to make a contribution to other aspects of the educational program, such as curriculum development
- Assists and guides students to reinforce reading, language arts, mathematics, computer instruction and other skills
- Works with students individually and in small groups to reinforce basic learning and implement assigned programs
- Assists professional staff in the administration and correction of classroom exercise, tests and assessments
- Assists in classroom preparations and strategies for reinforcing instructional materials and skills according to individual student needs
- Assists with record-keeping procedures to document student learning and performance
- Assists students with special needs in all aspects of classroom instruction to maximize inclusion, learning, achievement if IEP objectives, etc.
- Participates in IEP process and serves as resource for the student personnel evaluation team as needed
- Assists students with physical or mental disabilities with activities of daily living for the purpose of maximizing their ability to participate in school or learning activities
- Follows all applicable safety rules, procedures and regulations governing the proper manner of assistance for all students , including those with disabilities or other special needs
Note: The above description is illustrative of tasks and responsibilities. It is not meant to be all inclusive of every task or responsibility.
Evaluation: In accordance with Teach for NJ
Physical and Mental Demands, Work Hazards:
- Works in standard office and school building environment
- Ability to work outdoors during outdoor student activities
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The duties of this job are normally performed in the following manner: the employee is regularly required to stand and is regularly required to talk and to hear. The employee frequently is required to walk. The employee is occasionally required to sit; to use hand to finger, handle or feel; to reach with hands and arms; to stoop; kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Note: Qualified candidates/incumbents must be able to perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodations. As required under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions or duties. It is the responsibility of the incumbent in the position or the candidate once offered the position to inform the East Greenwich Superintendent of any and all reasonable accommodations that may be required. Candidates who need accommodations to complete the application process must inform the Superintendent of their need.
Equipment: Ability to use standard office equipment such as personal computers, printer, copy and fax machines, and telephone
Travel: Travels to school district buildings and professional meetings as required
The East Greenwich Township School District is an Equal Opportunity Employment, Educational and Service Organization.
East Greenwich Township School District
559 Kings Highway, Mickleton, NJ 08056
Compare with State
Amount per Student
State Average: $19,422 (USD)
% ELL Students
State Average: 5%
Student Teacher Ratio
State Average: 12.25
% IEP Students
State Average: 16%
State Average: 345