Academic Instructor, Biology
LEAD Charter School is Hiring an Academic Instructor
Subject Area: K-12 Science
LEAD Charter School, seeks a high quality educator to join the efforts of a community that’s poised to transform equity through opportunity for young people in Newark as our Academic Instructor.
About LEAD: New Jersey’s first single sourced charter high school, designed to serve students ages 16-21 in grades 9-12 in Newark, NJ to master the essential skills crucial for success in career, postsecondary education, and community leadership. LEAD implements the YouthBuild Model, a guiding initiative under the Newark Opportunity Youth Network, (NOYN) which entails assurance of Graduate Success, Vocation skills, Rigorous and Relevant Education, comprehensive student support services and Leadership Development.
LEAD Charter School is committed to providing our students with a holistic approach through their transformative journey to become leaders within their own lives, their families and within their community. Through applied learning opportunities with partner organizations and corporations, LEAD prepares students to compete in the local economy and/or transition to postsecondary education. To learn more about LEAD, please visit: http://leadcharterschool.org/.
Our Values: At LEAD we acknowledge that the collective will of the community is the greatest force conceivable, which is why all staff embody our core values of Appreciation, Love, Dignity, Respect and Faith. Staff who want to work at LEAD should expect and be willing to raise the bar and challenge young people to reach the best versions of themselves—and should also expect to receive feedback, collaboration, and support from all colleagues in order to help them meet these challenges.
Position Summary: Academic Instructors at LEAD have:
- The commitment, energy, and heart needed to excel in our classrooms
- Knowledge of their role and demonstrate the ability to use diverse resources to plan and structure engaging learning opportunities
- An eagerness to contribute and collaborate with members of our team in order to develop a learning organization in which individual skills, attributes, and experiences are celebrated and highlighted.
REPORTS TO: Head of School
- Bachelors or related field
- State of New Jersey (Secondary Level) Teaching Certification in Subject Area or in the process of attainment
- Classroom experience with disconnected young adults who have dropped out of high school or similar group
- Ability (ideally experience) to prepare students to pass high stakes tests (i.e. TASC, NWEA, etc.)
- Ability to support, inspire, and motivate 16-24 year-old students to learn subject specific academic skills
- Ability to work with a diverse, multicultural staff and students
- Familiarity with alternative education and school-to-career practices
- Demonstrated success in raising student achievement with underserved populations in construction training or related field.
- Strong commitment to youth and ability to work effectively with parents.
- Commitment to NOYN school model and implementation with fidelity.
- Experience with and/or training in working with youth with special needs
- Ability to teach basic computer skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and incorporate computer skills across curricula
- Bilingual skills helpful and appreciated
- Plans a program of study that meets the individual needs, interests and abilities of students.
- Evaluates student progress on a regular basis and prepares progress reports.
- Instructs pupils in citizenship, basic communications skills and other general elements of the course of study common to all teachers, as specified in state law and administrative regulations and procedures of the district.
- Provides individual, small, and/or large group instruction, whenever appropriate, in order to adapt the curriculum to the needs of pupils with varying intellectual and special abilities.
- Instructs pupils in proper care and use of textbooks, equipment and materials.
- Establishes and maintains standards of pupil behavior needed to provide and orderly and productive environment.
- Selects and requisitions books, instructional materials, equipment, aids, and maintains required inventory records.
- Develops instructional plans and organizes class time to provide a balanced program of instruction
- Develops and maintains professional competence through participation in in-service education activities provided by the district and in self-selected professional growth activities.
- Supervises out-of classroom activities for pupils during the assigned working day, as required.
- Plans and coordinates the work of aides, teacher assistants, and other paraprofessionals.
- Identifies pupil’s needs and cooperates with other professional staff members in assessing and helping pupils solve health, attitude, and learning problems.
- Communicates with parents and pupil personnel staff members on the individual pupil’s progress and development.
- Maintains attendance accounting and business service as required.
- Develops and participates in the sponsorship of student activities and faculty committees.
- Acts as a resource person on an interdepartmental level to relate appropriate aspects of his/her subject area to other subject areas
- Works to establish and maintain open lines of communication with students and their parents concerning the academic and behavioral progress of all assigned students.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
Twelve-month employee. Salary based on experience and board approval.
Performance of this job will be evaluated annually in accordance with the board's policy on evaluation.
WANT TO KNOW MORE?
Schedule a visit by emailing Shabani Stewart at email@example.com