Bus Maintenance - Mechanic
Job Title: Bus Maintenance - Mechanic
Wage/Hour Status: Non-Exempt, up to $48,200 inc. some overtime
Reports to: Director, Transportation
Pay Grade: 4
Length of Assignment: 12 months
Date Revised: October 2018
Primary Purpose:Maintain and repair all types of vehicles in the district to ensure proper performance and safety. Work independently on projects assigned, following established procedures.
Valid Texas commercial driver’s license (Class B), School Bus Endorsement
Certified Texas Vehicle Safety Inspector
Ability to diagnose mechanical problems and perform repairs independently
Ability to operate equipment and tools involved in vehicle repair
Ability to lift heavy equipment and vehicle parts
Two years’ experience in vehicle repair and maintenance procedures
Major Responsibilities and DutiesMaintenance and Repair:
- Evaluate mechanical and electrical problems in vehicles using diagnostic equipment.
- Rebuild, replace, or repair vehicle parts such as engines (gasoline and diesel), brakes (mechanical and air), transmissions, cooling systems, suspension systems, electrical assemblies, and accessories.
- Analyze engine performance and tune.
- Perform preventive and routine maintenance on vehicles and equipment based on established schedules.
- Perform state safety inspections for all district vehicles.
- Operate tools and equipment according to prescribed safety procedures.
- Assist in keeping shop, equipment, and tools in safe operating condition
- Operate buses as needed.
- Complete and maintain records on work performed and parts used.
- Work irregular hours as needed.
Small hand tools, drills, drill press, grinder, air-powered tools, torch, jacks, and lift equipment. Operate bus.
Mental Demands/Physical Demands/Environmental Factors:
Moderate walking, standing, climbing, heavy lifting, carrying, stooping, bending, kneeling, and reaching. Work outside and inside, around moving objects, vehicles, and machinery with moving parts. Exposed to dampness and humidity, toxic chemicals, exhaust fumes, gasoline, and diesel fuel. Ability to operate motor vehicle.
The foregoing statements describe the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job and are not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties that may be assigned or skills that may be required.
Approved by Date
Reviewed by Date