Teacher - Dance/Movement
Job | Posted a year ago
Career and Technical Education
Early Childhood Development/Daycare
English as a Second Language (EFL/ELL/ESL/ESOL)
Gifted and Talented
Lead Teacher/Department Head
LEAP Academy University Charter School is seeking a highly qualified Teacher - Dance/Movement (K-12) that will partner with the Principal to facilitate student success and growth in academic and interpersonal skills through implementing district approved curriculum; documenting teaching and student progress/activities/outcomes; addressing specific educational needs of individual students and by creating a flexible, safe and optimal learning environment; and providing feedback to students, parents and administration regarding student progress, expectations, and goals. Dance Teacher will organize, lead, and promote interest in activities such as Traditional Jazz , African dance, Folk dance, Hip-hop & funk dance, Acro dance, Ballet, Lyrical, Contemporary dance, Flamenco, Modern dance, Tap dance, Latin dance, ballroom dance, liturgical dance, improvisational dance, step, freestyle, break/house dance. Must be able to teach basic dance principles and then go beyond that through the act of demonstration by teacher, student’s follow and then challenge student’s to use their own creative thinking within the art. Exploring creativity is part of dance, drama and music.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Establish and enforce rules for behavior and procedures for maintaining order among the students for whom they are responsible
- Organize, lead, and promote interest in daily dance activities such as warm-up, movement across the floor, center activity and combinations as well as activities that lead to full performance pieces, trips to see shows and workshops outside the site to enhance and further learning
- Organize performance groups, and direct their rehearsals, put on performances at the site and prepare to audition for the Annual LEAP Performing Arts Programs
- Establish clear objectives for all lessons, units, and projects, and communicate those objectives to students
- Ascertain and interpret group interests, evaluate equipment and facilities, and adapt activities to meet the requirements of LEAP along with the student’s interests
- Prepare materials and classrooms for class activities
- Explain principles, techniques, and safety procedures to participants in the activities, and demonstrate use of materials and equipment
- Greet new arrivals to activities, introducing them to other students, explaining rules, and encouraging participation
- Evaluate activity to determine if they are producing desired results
- Adapt teaching methods and instructional materials to meet students' varying needs and interests
- Progressive development of student skills leading to a final project
- Maintains calendar of events for performances in collaboration with the VAPA department
- Assists in the curriculum development for the dance class.
- Assists in combined VAPA rehearsals.
- Works with the other members of the department to coordinate activities of the students, school and community.
- Assists in the area of VAPA festivals.
- Coordinates rehearsal/performance room usage with the Principal(s) and the Director of VAPA.
- Ability to build a classroom culture where students love dance
- Knowledgeable and skilled in one or more styles of dance and have prior experience successfully teaching and instructing youth in dance.
- Prior performance experience and stage/theater etiquette and understanding.
- Knowledge and prior experience choreographing dance works and putting a performance together.
- Knowledge in dance terminology, history and resources to develop a well-rounded and cohesive study in dance throughout the school year.
- Responsible, reliable and punctual
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills required
- Performs other related tasks as assigned by the Principal and other central office administrators as designated by the Chief Academic Officer.
Education & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s or higher degree from an accredited college or university in Dance/Performance/Choreography
- Must hold or be able to hold a New Jersey Teaching Certificate (CEAS, CE, Provisional or Standard) in subject and grade level content area
- Experience Desired: Two years’ experience teaching dance/movement instruction using various techniques. Latin and African dance preferred
- Physical Requirements:This position requires constant movement with intermittent repetitive motions with the hands, arms, legs, and feet. The position requires frequent walking, standing, bending, stooping, speaking, turning, grasping.
Inside Outside Both
Classroom Outdoor Community
BENEFITS: Benefits are available to full time employees per provisions of Board policy.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: Ten month contracted position. Salary, hours and work year to be determined by Board of Trustees.
How to Apply
All interested candidates should apply directly through the LEAP University Academy Charter School website in the “Careers” section: http://www.leapacademycharter.org/careers.html
Leap Academy University Charter School
549 Cooper Street , Camden, NJ 08102
Compare with State
Amount per Student
State Average: $19,422
% ELL Students
State Average: 5%
Student Teacher Ratio
State Average: 12.25
% IEP Students
State Average: 16%
State Average: 345