Job Title: Maintenance
Wage/Hour Status: Non-Exempt
Reports to: Custodial Supervisor
Pay Grade: 4
Length of Assignment: 12 months
Date Revised: April 2018
Primary Purpose:Perform general maintenance and repair of building structures and their mechanical, electrical, and sanitary systems throughout the district. Assist with maintenance of grounds.
Valid Texas driver’s license
Ability to follow verbal or written instructions
Knowledge of basic construction and routine maintenance and repair procedures
Ability to communicate effectively (verbally)
Ability to operate power and hand tools
Ability to work independently
One year experience in general building maintenance
Maintenance and Repair:
Major Responsibilities and Duties
- Assist skilled workers with repair and maintenance of district facilities, including repairing woodwork; replacing electrical switches, fixtures, and motors; painting, repairing, and replacing plumbing fixtures and drainage systems; and replacing broken glass.
- Inspect building exterior, interior, playground equipment, and grounds; perform maintenance and minor repairs.
- Detect and report needed major repairs on building structures and their systems, including lockers, furniture, and equipment.
- Complete repairs as requested on work orders or by maintenance supervisor.
- Assist with the relocation of furnishings, such as desks, tables, chairs, file cabinets, etc.
- Move, install, assemble, and repair all school furniture and playground equipment as needed.
- Hang pictures, mirrors, blackboards, bulletin boards, projection screens, towel dispensers, soap dispensers, and other items as required.
- Install door and window assemblies and hardware, including window glass and screens.
- Install ceiling and flooring materials.
- Operate light truck to transport furniture and equipment throughout the district.
- Operate tools and equipment according to prescribed safety procedures.
- Follow established safety procedures and techniques to perform job duties, including lifting, climbing, etc.
- Correct unsafe conditions in work area and report any conditions that are not correctable to supervisor immediately.
- Maintain tools and equipment and perform preventive maintenance as required.
Power tools (drill, saw, etc.), hand tools, welder (gas and electric air).
Mental Demands/Physical Demands/Environmental Factors:
Ability to read, communicate verbally, understand verbal and written directions, and work with minimal supervision. Continual walking and standing; frequent heavy lifting and carrying; climbing, stooping, bending, kneeling, and reaching. Work outside and inside. Exposure to extreme temperatures, dust, fumes, and odors. Exposure to mechanical, electrical, and chemical hazards. Work around moving objects or vehicles.