Water Safety Instructor
Job Description: Responsible for planning and teaching group swim lessons and private
lessons for patrons of the Charlotte Aquatic Center.
Current certification in the following:
• American Red Cross Water Safety Instructor
• American Red Cross CPR for the Professional Rescuer (preferred)
• American Red Cross Lifeguard Training and First Aid (preferred)
Knowledge and Skills:
• Thorough knowledge and application of swimming and water safety skills
• Thorough knowledge and application of teaching swimming and water safety skills
• An understanding of facility characteristics, rules, policies and procedures
• Leadership and public relations skills
• Communication skills
• Decision-making skills
• Be familiar with American Red Cross Learn-to-Swim levels and other Red Cross water
safety courses and know how to use course materials effectively.
• Adapt teaching approaches to the age, experience and ability of participants so they can
meet course objectives.
• Communicate regularly with participants to ensure they are aware of progress.
• Complete records and reports in a timely manner and return to Aquatics Supervisor.
• Participate in regular in-service training sessions.
• Complete additional duties as assigned by Aquatics Supervisor.
Reports To: Aquatics Supervisor