Bus Assistant - Part-Time
TITLE: Bus Assistant
CLASSIFICATION: Transportation Department – Classified Hourly Salary Schedule
REPORTS TO: Transportation Supervisor/Special Needs Supervisor
SUMMARY: The bus assistant will aid in the safe transportation of students.
- Assist youth or disabled students with entrance and exit to and from the bus, and operate the lift as needed.
- Assure orderly entrance and exit to and from the bus.
- Maintain order on the bus by speaking with and sitting with students who are disrupting.
- Assist the bus driver by providing bus referral information.
- Take appropriate position to observe students, being alert to seizure or other student health problems.
- Maintain professional relations with parents, teachers, and students. Stay updated on any physical or medical changes pertaining to students and make bus driver aware of these changes.
- Assist in maintaining bus cleanliness.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of CPR and first aid.
- Ability to work with mentally and physically handicapped children.
- Good physical health, ability to bend, climb steps, help lift students, push wheelchairs, and position and secure wheelchairs.
- Familiarity and compliance with safety procedures.
- Ability to bend, stoop, reach and lift 50 pounds.
The work environment is helping and assisting children on and off the school bus and includes conditions that has seasonal extreme temperatures, bus fumes and odors, and bus noise and bus vibration.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: Nine-month year, beginning salary: Classified Hourly Salary Schedule, 4 hrs/day.
EVALUATION: Performance to be evaluated in accordance with Board policy on evaluation of classified staff.