Junior High School Math
MARION COMMUNITY SCHOOLS
Position Title: Teacher FLSA Status: Exempt
Responsible to: Building Principal Supervises: Students
Evaluated by: Building Principal
- Formative evaluations throughout the school year as per MCS Performance and Assessment procedures.
- Annual summative evaluation prior to July 1.
Purpose of the Position: To create an educational program and a class environment that is multicultural, gender-fair, and disability/sensitive, is favorable to learning and personal growth in accordance with each student’s ability and is based on a commitment that all students can learn.
Classified as Confidential Employee: Functional responsibilities or knowledge in connections with the issues involved in dealings between the school corporation and its employees require strict adherence to confidentiality.
Minimum Requirements: The following qualifications represent the minimum requirements necessary for an individual to perform this position effectively.
- A valid Indiana teaching license, certificate, or other legal credentials required for level of
- Prior successful experience in urban, multicultural education desirable.
- Demonstrates continued professional development through course work, research, and peer
- Has working knowledge of the subject matter, classroom management techniques, and current researched best practices and strategies, and students’ learning styles and needs, both academic and affective.
Essential Functions of the Position: The following functions have been determined by Marion Community Schools to be essential to the successful performance of this position.
- Acquire knowledge of the goals of the Marion Community Schools and site/School Improvement Plan (SIP) to support and achieve those goals.
- Establish developmentally appropriate instructional and behavioral expectations for students and for him/herself and communicates those to students and their families.
- Create lessons and learning environments that are safe, respectful, and interesting, as well as multicultural, gender-fair, disability sensitive. Selects, adapts, and individualizes materials appropriate for diverse student populations and skills.
- Teach students the required curricula using strategies that foster thinking, reasoning, and problem solving.
- Collaborate and communicate regularly with families in making educational decisions and uses family and community resources.
- Assess student’s developmental, cognitive, and social needs and provides developmentally appropriate instruction to meet those needs.
- Regularly assess student learning by using multiple forms of assessment.
- Facilitate positive interactions between students and teacher, student and peers, and student and other adults.
- Model learning and behavior consistent with the expectations for student.
- Evaluate own instructional effectiveness.
- Participate in ongoing and regular staff, team, and individual professional development. Implements the Professional Development Process.
- Collaborate with peers to develop, plan, and implement best practices based on the needs/abilities of the students.
- Participate in site-based decision making.
- Always keep the student’s needs and rights first and foremost in any educational decision-making.
Secondary Functions of the Position: The following functions, while important and necessary to the position, have been determined by Marion Community Schools to be marginal to the successful performance of this position.
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as directed by the Building Principal
- Teacher Code of Ethics.
- Indiana State Department of Education curriculum .
- Marion Community Schools Strategic Plan.
- Staff training and professional development.
- Policies, procedures and functions of Marion Community Schools Board of Trustees and the Indiana Department of Education.
- Applicable software and applications.
- Plan, organize, and schedule priorities.
- Use independent judgment and initiative in making sound decisions and in developing solutions to problems.
- Discreetly handle confidential and politically sensitive matters.
- Make independent decisions in accordance with established policies and procedures.
- Tactfully and courteously respond to requests and inquiries/complaints from the general public and staff.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with students, staff and the community.
- General Office Equipment (computer, telephone, copier, fax machine, etc.).
- Classroom instructional equipment .
Place where work is performed:
- School building and classroom.
- Ability to stand or sit for long periods of time.
- Ability to stoop, bend, climb stairs.
- Must be able to hear and speak clearly.
- Must be able to lift items up to 25 lbs. occasionally.
How this Job Description was developed:
This job description was developed by the HR Department.
Marion Community Schools assures Equal Employment Opportunities for job candidates and employees. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential tasks. This job description is intended to accurately reflect the position activities and requirements. However, management and administration reserves the right to modify, add, or remove duties and assign other duties as necessary. It is not intended to be and should not be construed as an all-inclusive list of all the responsibilities, skills, or working conditions associated with the position.
I have read and agree to the expectations of this job description.