Middle School Language Arts Teacher (6th - 8th Grade) (2020-2021 School Year)
LEARN is a network of high performing college preparatory, tuition-free public elementary and middle schools. that serve children. There are 10 LEARN Schools serving 4,100 students in grades PK-8 across Chicago, Waukegan, and North Chicago.
LEARN and our amazing educators, have received numerous recognitions for making an impact in public education, including the 2018 Chicago Magazine's Top Elementary Charter Schools and the 2018 Illinois Network of Charter Schools Principal of the Year Award.
LEARN's mission remains crystal clear: to provide children with the academic foundation and ambition to earn a college degree. LEARN is currently looking for hard-working and passionate professionals that are dedicated to transforming public education.
The Middle School Language Arts Teacher (6th - 8th grade) will be responsible for daily operations for his or her classroom. The teacher is required to provide high quality Language Arts instruction to all students, every day. The classroom environment is supportive and community–based. The teacher is also required to cultivate and maintain ongoing relationships with student's families, staff, and other members of the community.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Able to effectively implement instructional programs and strategic interventions that drive results.
- Demonstrates effective classroom management skills that contribute to a positive learning environment.
- Understands how to use data to improve instruction and improve student achievement.
- Implements instructional activities that follow curricular guidelines and frameworks.
- Differentiates instruction to meet the needs of students with various academic and social needs.
- Provides a positive learning environment that promotes thinking.
- Collaborates with peers to enhance the instructional environment and meet school-wide goals.
- Maintains a professional working relationship with parents.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the Principal.
- Participates in professional development opportunities.
- 1 year of teaching experience required.
- Must have a Middle Grades Language Arts Endorsement.
- Demonstrated track record of delivering gains in student academic achievement.
- Demonstrated record of living LEARNs' Core Values.
- Must be Highly Qualified according to IL State Board of Ed.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS
- Experience with Microsoft Office and Google applications, databases, and intranet and internet usage.
- Strong written and verbal skills.
- Professional demeanor.
- Ability to express self effectively and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Experience in development and implementation procedures.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects, adhering to strict timelines.
- Detail oriented and highly organized.
- Comfortable interacting with internal and external customers.
- Ability to defuse situation and get other organized to meet project expectations.
- High degree of initiative and independent judgment.
- Ability to tactfully and effectively deal with public and staff in a personable and professional manner.
- Maintains a high level of energy and a consistent positive attitude.
Nature of work requires an ability to operate standard business office equipment. Requires ability to communicate and exchange information, collect, compile and prepare work documents, set-up and maintain work files. Physically demands require the ability to stand, bend, reach high and low, stoop, walk around the classroom and kneel upwards of 60% of the day. In addition, walking up and down stairs several times a day. Must be able to lift 15 to 20 pounds for short periods of time and push and pull 15 to 20 lbs.
Majority of work performed in a general office environment. Position requires availability for extended hours plus non-traditional hours required to perform job duties. Also requires participation and attendance at organization sponsored events and meetings.
This job description is not intended to be a complete list of all responsibilities, duties or skills required for the job and is subject to review and change at any time, with or without notice, in accordance with the needs of LEARN Charter Schools Network. Since no job description can detail all the duties and responsibilities that may be required from time to time in the performance of a job, duties and responsibilities that may be inherent in a job, reasonably required for its performance, or required due to the changing nature of the job shall also be considered part of the jobholder's responsibility.