Special Education Paraprofessional (2019-2020 School Year)
LEARN is a network of high performing college preparatory, tuition-free public elementary and middle schools. that serve children. There are 10 LEARN Schools serving 4,100 students in grades PK-8 across Chicago, Waukegan, and North Chicago.
LEARN and our amazing educators, have received numerous recognitions for making an impact in public education, including the 2018 Chicago Magazine's Top Elementary Charter Schools and the 2018 Illinois Network of Charter Schools Principal of the Year Award.
LEARN's mission remains crystal clear: to provide children with the academic foundation and ambition to earn a college degree. LEARN is currently looking for hard-working and passionate professionals that are dedicated to transforming public education.
Collaborate and partner with Classroom Teacher and Special Education Teacher to ensure successful academic outcomes for individual students. Assists individual students with their social, academic, and physical needs throughout the school day.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Demonstrates understanding of the instructional program by applying instructional techniques applicable to curriculum and best practices
- Exhibits the skills required to successfully execute tasks
- Understands and carries out oral and written instructions
- Utilizes materials, technology, etc. effectively to enhance instruction
- Demonstrates time management skills
- Provides for active student engagement through management of lessons
- Possess the ability to adapt to different tasks as needed
- Demonstrates a working knowledge of child development
- Helps promote students' independence, social skills, and self-esteem
- Effectively communicates with children to promote student understanding
- Monitors students' behavior and assists in establishing expectations for behavior in accordance to school-wide/classroom discipline plan
- Effectively monitors children outside of classroom (e.g. recess, lunchroom, etc.) and while instructor is occupied
- Intervenes appropriately to prevent student disruption of the education process
- Interacts with students in a supportive way reflecting reciprocal respect
- Supports classroom management plan and behavior of students
- Communicates performance expectations to students
- Assists in establishing expectations for behavior and academics in accordance with school-wide and classroom expectations
- Consistently follows through with identified instructional roles & obligations in classroom
- Assists instructor in conducting instructional activities
- Applies instructional techniques applicable to curriculum area/specific students
- Advises and informs instructor of student academic performance as applicable
- Demonstrates an understanding of LEARN's expectations and best practices
- Utilizes appropriate student assessments to effectively inform differentiated instruction (e.g. utilizes anecdotals)
- Able to identify students' academic needs and effectively address them
- Instructional strategies implemented demonstrate an understanding of LEARN's expectations and best practices (e.g. professional development goals)
- Effectively provides instructions to students
- Effectively executes individualized instruction
- Assists in the organization of classroom environment
- Effectively performs job-related tasks
- Works with a minimum of supervision
- Promotes and maintains positive relationships with staff
- Demonstrates effective communication skills
- Uses communication skills to promote relations with students, staff, and parents
- Understands and carries out oral and written instruction
- Effectively communicates with students to promote student understanding
- Uses a variety of problem solving techniques
- Contributes positively toward the accomplishment of school and classroom goals
- Demonstrates teamwork
- Participates as requested or assigned in staff meetings
- Cooperates with all staff members
- Consistently reflects on own practice in order to monitor and make adjustments for next time
- Observes designated work hours
- Complies with regulations of employee conduct
- Demonstrates knowledge of rules and regulations on discipline, procedures, curriculum, etc.
- Consistently enforces LEARN policies and expectations
- Actively participates during professional development opportunities in a meaningful way
- Collaborates with colleagues and seeks out resources in order to grow professionally
- Works in a collegial and collaborative manner with school personnel
- Performing other duties and task as assigned
- Some college coursework required (60+ credit hours preferred)
- 1+ years experience working with students in a classroom setting
- Experience with Microsoft Office applications, databases, and intranet and internet usage.
- Strong written and verbal skills
- Professional demeanor
- Ability to express self effectively and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Experience in development and implementation procedures.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects, adhering to strict timelines.
- Detail oriented and highly organized.
- Comfortable interacting with internal and external customers
- Ability to defuse situation and get other organized to meet project expectations
- High degree of initiative and independent judgment.
- Ability to tactfully and effectively deal with public and staff in a personable and professional manner.
- Maintains a high level of energy and a consistent positive attitude.
Certifications, Licenses, Registrations
Paraprofessional License (ELS) Required.
2+ years experience in a classroom setting
Current participant in an Instructor certification program preferred
Nature of work requires an ability to operate standard business office equipment. Requires ability to communicate and exchange information, collect, compile and prepare work documents, set-up and maintain work files. Physically demands require the ability to stand, bend, reach high and low, stoop, walk around the classroom and kneel upwards of 60% of the day. In addition walking up and down stairs several times a day. Must be able to lift 40 pounds for short intervals of time and push and pull a similar weight.
Majority of work performed in a general office environment. Position requires availability for extended hours plus non-traditional hours required to perform job duties. Also requires participation and attendance at organization sponsored events and meetings.
This job description is not intended to be a complete list of all responsibilities, duties or skills required for the job and is subject to review and change at any time, with or without notice, in accordance with the needs of LEARN Charter Schools Network. Since no job description can detail all the duties and responsibilities that may be required from time to time in the performance of a job, duties and responsibilities that may be inherent in a job, reasonably required for its performance, or required due to the changing nature of the job shall also be considered part of the jobholder's responsibility.