College & Career Exploration Teacher
ACE Tech Charter High School is seeking a dedicated educator and school leader to serve as an 11th grade Academy teacher in our College, Career and Academy Department (CCA). Academy covers college and apprenticeship applications, scholarship applications, consumer education, as well as the other CCA areas of focus listed below. The 11th grade course focuses on exploration of self, SAT preparation, possible careers, and college options. The 12th grade position builds upon that exploration and gives students a dedicated space to apply to colleges or apprenticeships, scholarships, and build career preparedness skills. Teachers in the Academy department tend to loop forward with their students so that they have the ability to build strong relationships over several years. This position requires a candidate deeply committed to educational equity and the empowerment of young people. We are seeking candidates that view teaching as leadership, collaborate well with others, and can manage both details and relationships.
About ACE Tech
ACE Tech Charter High School serves approximately 400 students from Chicago's Back of the Yards, Washington Park and Englewood neighborhoods on Chicago's south side. ACE Tech was founded in 2004 to increase the number of urban, low-income, minority and female youth who enter the architecture, construction, and engineering professions. While many students are interested in these professions, ACE Tech caters to students with a wide variety of interests and aspirations. The student body demographic is 66% Black and 28% Hispanic. 95% of students are low income and 18% are in special education programs. ACE Tech's mission is to provide for our students the highest levels of instruction and academic achievement combined with exemplary character development that will prepare them for postsecondary and apprenticeship education and sustained lifelong success.
What is College, Career and Academy (CCA)?
CCA is a department at ACE Tech comprised of both College & Career Counselors and Academy Teachers. The goal of CCA is to improve student outcomes by delivering a robust four-year college, career and skills curriculum sequence coupled with on-track counseling, character development and social-emotional learning and support. Our team is made up of hardworking, dedicated professionals that passionately believe in the potential of low-income urban youth to achieve great success. We see our team as key driver of positive student outcomes and culture at ACE Tech and consider ourselves pursuers of social justice.
- Create and deliver a robust college, career and skills curriculum to all students that also includes character development, on-track counseling and social-emotional learning and support. Academy teacher will have curriculum creation support from the CCA Department Chair and the other members of the CCA team. Curriculum creation support includes a CCA Scope, Sequence and Curriculum Resource Guide with basic unit outlines.
- Participate in curriculum development and feedback systems in order to ensure long term planning and effective feedback loops. Typically, lesson plans for units are reviewed, discussed and collaborated on multiple weeks in advance of the unit launch.
- Teach four sections of 11th grade students each day, one English elective, and one homeroom section. There are approximately 27 students in each section.
- Maintain desk hours in CCA office during portions of day in order to conference with and support students, meet with parents, and be available to collaborate with other CCA staff members. Academy teachers still receive planning period time in addition to teaching time and CCA desk hours.
- Monitor attendance, grades and behavior infractions of all students and play key role in summarizing and reporting data out to identified key partners in school on a timely basis.
- Facilitate one-on-one meetings with all students on roster on a bi-weekly basis to track academic progress, behavior, and social matters with students and develop action plans for improvement and growth in all of these areas. This includes regular parent contact.
- Participate in required staff meetings:
- Weekly department meeting
- Bi-weekly grade level meetings
- Bi-weekly professional development
- Serve as grade level leader which includes facilitation of the bi-weekly grade level team meetings including: data collection and analysis, agenda creation, minute taking, intervention tracking, and team accountability management.
- Attend summer professional development opportunities and curriculum planning meetings as needed.
Qualifications and Traits
- Bachelor's degree (BA) from a four-year college or university
- Valid Illinois Teaching Certificate
- At least 2 years of teaching experience in an urban high school setting is preferred
- Experience working with high school aged urban youth
- School leadership experience is preferred
Desired traits include:
- Exemplary rapport with students and colleagues
- Hard worker that does whatever it takes to achieve desired results
- Enjoys being part of a team
- Passionate about the opportunity to positively affect student outcomes and school culture
The hard work of the Academy Teachers is ultimately measured by their students':
- Engagement in their education and their futures
- Attendance in all ACE Tech classes
- Grades in all ACE Tech classes
- Behavior infractions
- College/Career Training enrollment
- College/Career Training persistence
- Academy Department Chair
- Dean of Student Support
- Assistant Principal
Works In Tangent With:
- CCA Department Members
- Attendance Coordinator
- Parent Coordinator
- Discipline Team
- Other ACE Tech Teachers
- Community Members (to arrange guest speakers, field trips, etc.)
Compensation, Benefits and Hours
- Competitive compensation based upon experience
- Full benefits (health, eye and dental)
- Academy Teacher hours are 7:30AM-3:30 PM with occasional evening commitments for CCA events. This is a full-time exempt position and hours will often exceed 40 hours per week.
About the CCA 4-Year Curriculum Scope
The four-year CCA curriculum scope includes the following foci:
* College expectation and exploration
* Major exploration
* College identification
* ACT preparation
* College application
* Paying for college
* Anticipating college obstacles
* Career exploration
* Guest speakers
* Field trips
* Apprenticeship exploration
* Organizational skills
* Time Management skills
* Communication skills
* Study skills
* Classroom skills
* Technology skills
* Financial literacy
• On-Track Counseling
*Individualized attendance, grades and behavior monitoring
* Empower and encourage students and parents to constantly monitor attendance and grades
* Live notification of missed classes, assignments, etc (in coordination with parent and attendance coordinators)
* Extensive engagement with students, parents and teachers to keep students on-track
• Social and Emotional Learning and Support
* Interpersonal skills
* Healthy relationships
* Identity development
* Serve as sounding board for students
* Help to "catch students before they fall"
• Character Development
* Ability to self-advocate
Applicants will be screened initially by phone, then invited to ACE Technical Charter High School to give a 20-30 minute sample lesson followed by an interview. Finalists will then submit to a background check and fingerprinting.