School Nurse Substitute (District Wide)
Job | Posted 9 months ago
Naugatuck Public Schools
Naugatuck, Connecticut 06770
School Nurse Substitute
The school nurse, in cooperation with other educators and school personnel, assumes the responsibility and initiative for providing a wide variety of health care services designed to promote and protect the student's optimal health status. The school nurse acts as a health advocate for all school children and coordinates the resources of home, school, and community as they pertain to the health of students and staff members. The school nurse implements state laws, local board policies, and administrative procedures relative to health services in schools.
- Serves as a member of the school team as the designated health professional (ex. Early
2. Assesses the health needs of students and staff and provides appropriate and timely referrals.
- Provides emergency first aide and works with the school community to identify safety hazards and recommends prevention programs.
- Confers with parents, students, teachers, support staff, and other professionals to interpret health and developmental assessments.
- Monitors students with special needs for the purpose of maintaining them in the school setting.
- Provides guidance and counseling to families in health related areas.
- Maintains accurate, comprehensive, well-organized records, logs, surveys, and reports in keeping with requirements of the State of Connecticut, and policies of the Naugatuck Board of Education.
- Determines if all students have complied with state mandated health assessments and immunizations.
- Coordinates the administration of prescribed medication and treatments for students in school. Responsible for training designated staff in administration of medication.
- Assumes responsibility for vision, hearing, and postural screenings. Makes referrals and follow-ups on any deviations from normal.
- Writes Individual Health Care Plans (IHCP) for students with special needs. Incorporate plans into student IEPs and 504 Plans, when indicated. Develops Individualized Emergency Medical Plans (IEMP) when necessary.
- Makes home visits, when necessary, for more effective identification and management of health problems.
- Arranges for the school medical advisor to perform physical examinations for students and athletes. Interprets the results to students, parents, and school personnel.
- Serves as a resource to teachers and administrators in implementing a comprehensive school health program by providing current scientific information related to health promotion and disease prevention.
- Monitors attendance concerns, especially when medical documentation is required.
- Remains knowledgeable about State of Connecticut laws pertaining to immunizations, medication administration, health records, and other related issues.
- Remains current with the school nursing profession by attending conferences and workshops, as well as through professional readings.
- Performs other nursing duties on professional tasks as required.
Required qualifications: A valid RN license from the State Department of Health Services; current CPR Certification.
Reports to: Supervisor of Nurses
Work Year: 10 months
Naugatuck Public Schools
641 Maple Hill Road 641 Maple Hill Road, Naugatuck, CT 06770
Compare with State
Amount per Student
State Average: $20,481
% ELL Students
State Average: 7%
Student Teacher Ratio
State Average: 12.29
% IEP Students
State Average: 14%
State Average: 479