Posted a month ago
WINNETKA PARK DISTRICT
Job Title: Beach Attendant
Classification: Seasonal Part-Time/Non-Exempt
Summary: Under the direction and supervision of the Head Lifeguard, Beach Manager, Lakefront Coordinator, and Recreation Supervisor, the Beach Attendant is responsible for providing quality customer service, collecting daily admissions, answering any questions regarding beaches and beach programs, direct patrons to the appropriate parking areas, and general cleaning. The Beach Attendant is the first person that patrons come into contact with, which means professional appearance is at all time necessary. Work is performed at a self-controlled pace but may vary depending on the demands of the job.
Qualifications: Beach Attendants must have thorough knowledge of the Winnetka Park District beach rules and procedures, admission procedures, and have professional cash handling skills. Beach Attendants must be at least 16 years of age, have good written and verbal skills, demonstrate maturity while working with the public, and be able to work with money accurately. Beach Attendants will report any complaints, restocking of cash drawer, or other problems to the Head Lifeguard, Beach Manager, Lakefront Coordinator, or the Recreation Supervisor. A commitment to continued skill development is mandatory. A pre-placement physical and criminal background check is required. The Beach Attendant must obtain certifications in CPR, AED, and First Aid prior to the start of the season.
Required Knowledge: Knowledge of cash handling procedures and Winnetka Park District policies are required.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Support the mission(s), goals and objectives of the park district and all departments
- Demonstrates ongoing commitment to providing quality parks and recreation opportunity for the residents of Winnetka
- Actively promotes parks and recreation within the community through open and positive lines of communication with local civic groups.
- Shall establish and maintain open and positive lines of communication with all park district staff, patrons and residents.
- Carries out the directives of the department effectively and efficiently.
- Adhere to all policies and practices of the Park District.
- Shall actively pursue continuing education and commit to ongoing skill development.
- Maintain a commitment to the operation of a safe and effective lakefront environment.
- Enforce and obey all facility rules and regulation including local, county, and state health codes.
- Be fair, consistent, and polite in all rule enforcement.
- Report any irregular discipline, safety, maintenance, or other problems to Beach Manager, Head Lifeguard, Lakefront Coordinator, or Recreation Supervisor.
- Be at the beach no later than 15 minutes before the shift begins.
- Must wear staff shirt, and khaki shorts/pants at all time while on duty.
- Personal cell phones and any other electronic devices, including IPads, Kindles, etc. are prohibited.
- Attend and participate in staff meetings and trainings.
- Provide customer service to patrons by giving information regarding beaches, rules and regulations, and beach programs.
- Demonstrate a positive attitude at all times when dealing with staff and patrons.
- Make decisions in accordance with establish Park District policies while maintaining a high level of customer service.
- Handle all aspects of collecting payment of fees, making accurate change, issuing receipts, and maintaining a high level of customer service.
- Follow proper opening and closing procedures as assigned.
- Completed accurately, attendance sheets and other records as required.
- Be familiar with the safe operation of any equipment necessary in accomplishing required tasks.
- Balance daily cash against the cash journal report at the end of the day.
- Secure a qualified substitute for any assigned shift when unable to work.
- Act as a representative of the Winnetka Park District and as a role model for all aquatic staff. Actions must reflect policies and procedures set by the Park District.
- Perform other duties assigned by the Recreation Supervisor, Lakefront Coordinator, Beach Manager, or Head Lifeguard
- Shall proactively perform all job tasks within the rules and guidelines of the District's safety program.
- Assist with special events as needed by the Winnetka Park District.
The Beach Attendant is under the direction and supervision of the Head Lifeguard, Beach Manager, Lakefront Coordinator, and Recreation Supervisor.
The Beach Attendant must work closely with co-workers and the public, as well as demonstrate a respectful demeanor towards members of the management team. The Beach Attendant must be able to handle difficult situations and emergency situations.
The Beach Attendant is required to work with speed and accuracy for most of the day. The Beach Attendant must be able to handle average weight materials or equipment. The Beach Attendant must be able to respond and handle emergency situations quickly and efficiently.
The Beach Attendant must be able to work in hot and humid conditions, as well as various other weather conditions, including, but not limited to cold weather and rain. The Beach Attendant must have the ability to pay attention to potential threatening weather situations and make decisions when the area is unsafe for patrons.
The Beach Attendant must use good decision making skills at all times. The ability to respond to patrons with a positive, but sometimes stern demeanor is also necessary.