Posted a month ago
**PLEASE NOTE: INTERVIEWS WILL BEGIN DURING THE SPRING SEASON**
WINNETKA PARK DISTRICT
Job Title: Lifeguard
Classification: Seasonal Part-Time/Non-Exempt
Summary: Under the direction and supervision of the Beach Manager, Head Lifeguard, Lakefront Coordinator and the Recreation Supervisor, the Lifeguard is responsible for the safety of the beach and individuals in and around the lakefront. Duties include supervision of the beach area and patrons, rule enforcements, customer service, preventative lifeguarding, applying first aid, and rescue techniques as necessary. In addition, lifeguards are responsible for the maintenance and cleanliness of the beach, bathrooms, and office areas.
Qualifications: Lifeguards must have thorough knowledge of the Winnetka Park District beach rules and procedures. Lifeguards must process strong knowledge of preventative lifeguarding techniques, rescue skills, and first aid techniques. Ability to work well with others and provide customer service also required. Lifeguards must be at least 16 years of age, have 20/30 binocular vision uncorrected or best corrected, have current American Red Cross certifications in Lifeguarding/Waterfront/First Aid, CPR and AED for the professional rescuer, and Administering Emergency Oxygen. A commitment to continued skill development is mandatory. A pre-placement physical and criminal background check is required.
Required Knowledge: Knowledge of American Red Cross Lifeguarding, Waterfront Lifeguarding, First Aid, Adult/Child/Infant CPR, AED use, and Emergency Oxygen is required and will be tested prior to employment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Support the mission(s), goals and objectives of the park district and all departments
- Demonstrates ongoing commitment to providing quality parks and recreation opportunity for the residents of Winnetka
- Actively promotes parks and recreation within the community through open and positive lines of communication with local civic groups.
- Shall establish and maintain open and positive lines of communication with all park district staff, patrons and residents.
- Carries out the directives of the department effectively and efficiently.
- Adhere to all policies and practices of the Park District.
- Shall actively pursue continuing education and commit to ongoing skill development.
- Maintain a commitment to the operation of a safe and effective beach environment.
- Use preventative lifeguarding techniques including scanning with the 10/20 technique to ensure patron safety and supervision at all times.
- Demonstrate a safety consciousness at all times both with patrons and other staff members.
- Perform or assist with rescues, CPR, First Aid, and other emergencies as necessary.
- Enforce and obey all beach rules and regulations including local, county, and state health codes.
- Be fair, consistent, and polite in all rule enforcements.
- Know location and proper use of all safety and rescue equipment.
- Report any irregular discipline, safety or maintenance problems to the Head Lifeguard, Beach Manager, Lakefront Coordinator, or the Recreation Supervisor.
- Complete all necessary paperwork including incident reports, rescue reports, complaint forms, beach checklists, and cleaning checklist according to the Winnetka Park District guidelines.
- Be at the lakefront and ready to begin no later than15 minutes before the shift begins.
- Wear appropriate uniform at all times while on duty, including visor, fanny pack, and CPR mask. Do not wear uniform when off duty.
- Personal cell phones are prohibited.
- Attend 4 hours of in-service training per month to maintain and improve upon all lifeguarding skills.
- Attend and participate in staff meetings and trainings.
- Provide customer service to patrons by giving information regarding lakefront rules and regulations, and lakefront programs/special events.
- Demonstrate a positive attitude at all times when dealing with the public.
- Perform daily water chemistry tests.
- Secure a substitute when unable to work an assigned shift.
- Perform general maintenance including cleaning the beach house/bathrooms, garbage pick-up, changing supplies, etc. as necessary.
- Any other duties assigned by the Head Lifeguard, Beach Manager, Lakefront Coordinator, and the Recreation Supervisor
- Shall proactively perform all job tasks within the rules and guidelines of the District's safety program.
- Assist with special events as needed by the Winnetka Park District.
The Lifeguard works under the direction and supervision of the Head Lifeguard, Beach Manager, Lakefront Coordinator, and the Recreation Supervisor.
The Lifeguard must work closely with co-workers and the public, as well as demonstrate a respectful demeanor towards members of the management team. The Lifeguard must be able to handle difficult situations and emergency situations.
The Lifeguard must be able to swim and pass the required swim tests set by the American Red Cross. The Lifeguard must be able to respond to emergency situations quickly and efficiently.
The Lifeguard must be able to work in hot and humid conditions, as well as various other weather conditions, including, but not limited to cold weather and rain. The Lifeguard must have the ability to pay attention to potential threatening weather situations and make decisions when the area is unsafe for patrons.
The Lifeguard must use good decision making skills at all times. The ability to respond to patrons with a positive, but sometimes stern demeanor is also necessary.