JobID 185 : Head Start Assistant Teacher (#505155)
Vacancies exist for Head Start Teacher Assistants in the Office of Early Childhood Services with the Montgomery County Intermediate Unit. The locations are Abington, Ambler, Norristown, Lansdale, Pottstown, Schwenksville, Souderton, and Upper Dublin.
- High School Diploma or G.E.D. required.
- Persons with low incomes preferred - parents of children of Head Start are first priority.
- Availability for required working hours determined by the Program Administrator.
- Ability to perform the following physical activities: stoop, run, sit, stand, walk, bend, lift children, carry thirty (30) pounds, be outside in all seasons, be inside, prepare food, hear within normal ranges, and see within normal ranges.
- Must obtain CDA within 18 months of employment.
- Provide own transportation.
- Ability to work with and relate to young children and families of diverse backgrounds.
- Original certificates of clearance from the State Police, the Child Abuse Registry and PDE FBI
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Implement early childhood curriculum, students' Individualized Education Plans (IEPs), and conduct assessments that are appropriate to the developmental age levels in the class.
- Organize the space in the classroom to make the best use of materials and activities available to provide maximum benefit to the children and maintain safety standards.
- Establish rules appropriate to a child's developmental level using Positive Behavior Support Strategies and exercise authority to handle classroom emergencies.
- Coordinate related services with classroom activities (provide orientation and training for classroom team members).
- Inventory, maintain, and request materials and equipment.
- Complete applicable paperwork requirements (special education documents, program documents, progress monitoring and data collection forms, etc.) within specific timelines.
- Facilitate communication between staff, administration, and families.
- Attend staff meetings and recommended in-service trainings to improve skills.
- Participate in applicable due process procedures.
- Adhere to and implement MCIU policies, procedures, and directives. This includes the guidelines for all applicable programs (Pre-K Counts, Early Intervention, Child Care, Keystone STARS, and Head Start).
Monday-Friday, 7.5 hours/day, 188 days/year
$12.02/hour - $14.54/hour