Job Title: Social Worker
Location: M.L.King Elementary and Rosa L. Parks Middle School
Responsible for promoting and enhancing the overall academic mission of the District by providing services that strengthen home, school, and community partnerships and addresses barriers to learning and increased achievement.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily.
- Conduct assessments and evaluations in accordance with family and student rights.
- Use student, family, and school assessment results to identify needs that affect student learning.
- Use assessment and evaluation results to develop appropriate interventions for students, families, schools, and communities.
- Develop short-term and long-term intervention plans consistent with curriculum; students’ needs, strengths, diversity and life experiences; and social and emotional factors.
- Use a variety of appropriate informal and formal tools and techniques including observations and interviews to evaluate the progress and performance of students and families.
- Address the needs of the school, student, families, and community by collaborating with the Student Support Services Team to design a holistic approach to any barriers or problems with the educational process.
- Use knowledge and understanding of the reciprocal influences of home, school, and community to intervene for student success via such practices as assessment, crisis intervention and response, home visits, conflict resolution, individual and group counseling, consultation, program development, and coordination of school and community services.
- Develop and provide training and educational programs that address the goals and mission of the district.
- Assist students and their families in gaining access to formal and informal community resources.
- Utilize research and technologies to assist students, families, schools, and communities.
- Consult on such issues as attendance, diversity, mental health, behavior management, delinquency, crisis intervention, homelessness, child abuse, neglect, and the importance of confidentiality.
- Work with internal and external individuals, groups, and organizations to develop programs or systems of care that support and enhance the health, social and emotional well-being, and safety of students.
- Plans school and/or system-wide programs to promote a safe, healthy, caring school climate that fosters academic success.
- Performs other job-related duties as may be assigned by the Director of Special Education.
Moderate to extensive degree of physical and emotional stamina; frequent and prolonged standing, walking and sitting; ability to restrain students in emergency situations; frequent and prolonged talking/hearing conversations; possess near/far visual acuity/depth perception; and possible exposure to bodily fluids due to student injury and illnesses.
Professional Educator License (PEL) endorsed as School Social Worker (PK-21)
Master’s Degree in school Social Work
- 1 year school social work experience or 5 years general social work experience preferred
- Social work internship
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of the IEP process
- Leadership skills in working with individuals and groups (i.e. initiating individual or group discussion, listening, clarifying and facilitating interactions and sharing of ideas)
- Prepare social and family histories and cooperate on the formulation of committee reports
- Knowledgeable of social work case reporting and writing skills
- Ability to counsel students, parents, staff and lay persons individually and in groups
- Conduct effective meetings and conferences (including the resolution of disagreements)
- Demonstrated skill in social-environmental analysis and diagnosis on problem students
- A knowledge of community resources
- Ability to communicate concepts and information accurately orally or in writing, including formal statistical reports
- Ability to demonstrate effective liaison relationships with parents, schools, and agencies
- Present a positive professional image to staff and community
Terms of Employment: Salary is based on Teacher Salary Schedule. Ten month work year
Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with provisions of the Board’s policy on evaluation of Professional Personnel.