Technical Theatre Director
SUMMIT HIGH SCHOOL TECHNICAL THEATRE DIRECTOR NEEDED
Summit High School has an immediate opening for a technical director to oversee the construction of the sets for their fall play and spring musical. Plans and designs are provided by professional set designer. The position is stipended by the Summit Board of Ed.
For more information, contact Anne Poyner, Director of Theatre Arts (908-304-4288) firstname.lastname@example.org or Stacy Grimaldi, Principal in charge of student activities email@example.com.
Description of Tech Director Position
The technical theatre director for the Summit High School Theatre Arts program is responsible for the construction of the sets with the student crew for both the fall play and the spring musical. The job involves working closely with the director and the entire creative team to create a professional quality set; supervising, training, and motivating all student technical crews from the design concept, through the building process, and running the shows. In addition to a proficiency in carpentry and construction, the tech director must genuinely care about the students and their development as professional craftsmen and young adults.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Based on the set designer’s blueprints and designs–
- Create a set budget
- Order materials
- Organize a build schedule
- Schedule and organize weekly crew calls with the student tech director (at least 3 times a week and some Saturdays)
- Supervise crew calls –efficiently organizing teams of students and parent volunteers to maximize time and promote and pride in work
- Train students in carpentry, construction, safety
- Work closely with set painters/decorators to insure professional final product
- Maintain safety, organization of scene shop and all tools
- Work with student tech director and stage managers to select and train running crews for the shows.
- Supervise student running crews during performances.
MISSION OF SUMMIT HIGH SCHOOL THEATRE ARTS PROGRAM
To provide the highest quality educationally enriching theatre education for all interested students. We strive to empower our students to grow as artists, as leaders, as individuals, and as a theatre family by providing professional training and leadership opportunities in all areas of theatre.
The SHS Performing Arts program has received over 200 Paper Mill Playhouse Rising Star nominations and Montclair Theatre Awards over the past nine years. We are consistently nominated for Set, Lights, Costume, Make-up, and Overall Production, winning Best Overall Production of a Musical in 2007, 2013, and 2016 at the Paper Mill Playhouse Rising Star Awards; Best Modern Play (2009), Best Classical Play (2014), and Best Overall Production (2017) at Montclair Theatre Night Awards.
SHS Theatre websites featuring production photos and videos:
Individuals interested in applying for this position are asked to apply online at www.summit.k12.nj.us by December 15, 2017.