Winnetka Water Explorers Camp Counselor and Junior Sailing Instructor
Posted a month ago
**PLEASE NOTE: INTERVIEWS WILL BEGIN DURING THE SPRING SEASON**
WINNETKA PARK DISTRICT
Job Title: Winnetka Water Explorers Camp Counselor and Junior Sailing Instructor
Classification: Seasonal Part-Time/Non-Exempt
Summary: Under the direction and supervision of the Head Sailing Instructor and Camp Director, Recreation Supervisor, and the Lakefront Coordinator, the Winnetka Water Explorers Camp Counselor and Junior Sailing Instructor is responsible for implementing fun and safe water activities and teaching the sailing classes for the Winnetka Park District. The employee must always take “safety first” as a motto to ensure the safety of him/herself as well as the participants in the program.
Qualifications: Winnetka Water Explorers Camp Counselor and Junior Sailing Instructor must be responsible, punctual, and courteous. They must be competent sailors on beginning boats (Sunfish) and able to use a kayak and stand-up paddleboard. They must be enthusiastic, patient, creative, work well with others, have strong communication skills, and be able to teach practical skills and sailing theory to beginning sailors, including adults. Counselors/Instructors must manage time well and always be on time for lessons and classes. Camp Counselors and Sailing Instructors must be at least 16 years of age and be competent in operating a small motor boat (safety boat). The counselor/instructor must obtain certifications in American Red Cross Waterfront Lifeguarding, Professional Rescuer CPR, AED, and First Aid before the start of classes. A commitment to continued skill development is mandatory. A pre-placement physical and criminal background check is required.
Required Knowledge: The Winnetka Water Explorers Camp Counselor and Junior Sailing Instructor must be knowledgeable in operation of small motor boats and be competent in sailing. The ability to teach others, time management skills and safety conscientiousness are required as well. Basic water safety and swimming ability is also necessary.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Support the mission(s), goals and objectives of the park district and all departments
- Demonstrates ongoing commitment to providing quality parks and recreation opportunity for the residents of Winnetka
- Actively promotes parks and recreation within the community through open and positive lines of communication with local civic groups.
- Shall establish and maintain open and positive lines of communication with all park district staff, patrons and residents.
- Carries out the directives of the department effectively and efficiently.
- Adhere to all policies and practices of the Park District.
- Shall actively pursue continuing education and commit to ongoing skill development.
- Arrive at work on time for assigned shifts wearing appropriate Winnetka Park District clothing as well as personal life jacket.
- Take a proactive approach to safety as well as enforcing and reporting any safety concerns or violations.
- Teach beginner and intermediate sailing classes.
- Operate safety boat in the proper fashion on-the-water.
- Use creativity to teach the basics of sailing to students, using a combination of on land and on-the-water activities.
- Assist students with sailing fundamentals both on land and on-the-water.
- Completes necessary paper work including accident/ incident reports, student attendance records, as well as individual timesheets.
- Maintain a commitment to the operation of a safe and effective lakefront environment.
- Enforce and obey all facility rules and regulation including local, county, and state health codes.
- Be fair, consistent, and polite in all rule enforcement.
- Report any irregular discipline, safety, maintenance, or other problems to the Head Sailing Instructor and Camp Director and the Recreation Supervisor.
- Be at the beach no later than 15 minutes before the shift begins.
- Must wear staff shirt at all time while on duty.
- Personal cell phones are prohibited.
- Attend and participate in staff meetings and trainings.
- Provide customer service to patrons by giving information regarding the Winnetka Water Explorers Camp and the Jr. Sailing programs.
- Demonstrate a positive attitude at all times when dealing with children, their parents, other staff members, and patrons.
- Make decisions in accordance with establish Park District policies while maintaining a high level of customer service.
- Follow proper opening and closing procedures as assigned.
- Keep accurate attendance and other records as required.
- Be familiar with the safe operation of any equipment necessary in accomplishing required tasks.
- Secure a qualified substitute for any assigned shift when unable to work.
- Act as a representative of the Winnetka Park District and as a role model for all lakefront staff. Actions must reflect policies and procedures set by the Park District.
- Perform other duties assigned by the Head Sailing Instructor and Camp Director, Recreation Supervisor or the Lakefront Coordinator in the absence of the Recreation Supervisor.
- Shall proactively perform all job tasks within the rules and guidelines of the District's safety program.
- Assist with special events as deemed necessary by the Winnetka Park District.
Winnetka Water Explorers Camp Counselor and Junior Sailing Instructor is under the direction and supervision of the Head Sailing Instructor and Camp Director, the Recreation Supervisor and in the absence of the Recreation Supervisor, the Lakefront Coordinator.
Winnetka Water Explorers Camp Counselor and Junior Sailing Instructor is directly responsible for supervising the campers and students in the Winnetka Water Explorers Camp and the Jr. Sailing Lessons, which includes maintaining a safe environment.
Winnetka Water Explorers Camp Counselor and Junior Sailing Instructor works closely with co-workers, Winnetka Water Explorers campers/Jr. Sailing students and their parents. Safety conscientiousness is required at all times. The ability to work well with children is mandatory. Handling stressful situations, which can occur on the water or on land as well as interacting with upset parents, children, or other patrons, is a necessary requirement. The Sailing Instructor must demonstrate a respectful demeanor to members of the management team.
Winnetka Water Explorers Camp Counselor and Junior Sailing Instructor is required to work with speed and accuracy for most of the day. The Sailing Instructor must be able to handle average weight materials or equipment. The Sailing Instructor must be able to respond and handle emergency situations quickly and efficiently.
Winnetka Water Explorers Camp Counselor and Junior Sailing Instructor works primarily outside on a lakefront, which may include exposure to extreme heat, humidity, sunlight, rain and windy conditions. The ability to work from a moving boat is also required as the work is primarily done from a boat on the water.
Winnetka Water Explorers Camp Counselor and Junior Sailing Instructor must know the basics of sailing and be comfortable teaching those skills to others. Winnetka Water Explorers Camp Counselor and Junior Sailing Instructor much be familiar and comply with all sailing program and Winnetka Park District rules, policies and procedures. The knowledge of operating a powerboat is also necessary.