Lloyd Boat Launch and Beach Attendant
Posted a month ago
**PLEASE NOTE: INTERVIEWS WILL BEGIN DURING THE SPRING SEASON**
WINNETKA PARK DISTRICT
Job Title: Lloyd Boat Launch and Beach Attendant
Classification: Seasonal Part-Time/Non-Exempt
Summary: Under the direction and supervision of the Lloyd Boat Launch and Beach Assistant Manager, Lloyd Boat Launch and Beach Manager, the Recreation Supervisor, and in the absence of the Recreation Supervisor, the Lakefront Coordinator, the Lloyd Boat Launch and Beach Attendant is responsible to greet/check in local boat, kayak, canoe, and paddleboard owners and assisting in launch and retrieving various water vessels. Duties include supervision of the boat launch/beach area and patrons, rule enforcements, customer service, collecting daily fees, scanning season passes, completing daily cash reports, and retrieving boats from the fenced-in storage area with the assistance of launching. In addition, Lloyd Boat Launch and Beach Attendants are responsible for the maintenance and cleanliness of the beach, bathrooms, and boat house, as well as storage and office areas.
Qualifications: Lloyd Boat Launch and Beach Attendants must have thorough knowledge of the Winnetka Park District boat launch and beach rules and procedures. Lloyd Boat Launch and Beach Attendants must possess strong knowledge of boats and launching techniques. Ability to work well with others and provide customer service is required. Possess the ability to handle, count and balance money accurately. Maintain accurate, legible records, and follow oral/written instructions. Lloyd Boat Launch and Beach Attendants must be at least 16 years of age, have good communication skills with ability to pleasantly and cordially deal with the public in person and over the phone. Lloyd Boat Launch and Beach Attendants must obtain certifications in American Red Cross Professional Rescuer CPR, First Aid, and AED before the start of the boating season. A commitment to continued skill development is mandatory. A pre-placement physical and criminal background check is required.
Required Knowledge: Lloyd Boat Launch and Beach Attendants must be knowledgeable in boats and launching techniques, as well as cash handling procedures.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Support the mission(s), goals and objectives of the park district and all departments
- Demonstrates ongoing commitment to providing quality parks and recreation opportunity for the residents of Winnetka
- Actively promotes parks and recreation within the community through open and positive lines of communication with local civic groups.
- Shall establish and maintain open and positive lines of communication with all park district staff, patrons and residents.
- Carries out the directives of the department effectively and efficiently.
- Adhere to all policies and practices of the Park District.
- Shall actively pursue continuing education and commit to ongoing skill development.
- Assistance in launching and retrieving various motorized water vessels in the launch area for season pass holders and daily fee patrons.
- Help boat rack pass holders with removing, launching, retrieving, and returning non-motorized vessels to the proper rack slips.
- Assist patrons in the fenced-in storage area with the trailering and launching of their boats.
- Perform safe tractor operations when removing boats from the fenced-in storage area.
- Perform assigned tasks including opening and closing of facility, as well as reconciling of daily fees.
- Perform daily cleaning duties including; sweeping, emptying trash, cleaning bathrooms/boat house, and other duties as assigned.
- Handle all aspects of scanning season passes, collecting payment of fees, make accurate change, issuing receipts, and maintaining a high level of customer service.
- Keep accurate attendance and other records as required.
- Maintain a commitment to the operation of a safe and effective boat launch environment.
- Demonstrate a safety consciousness at all times both with patrons and other staff members.
- Perform or assist in CPR and First Aid as necessary.
- Be fair, consistent, and polite in all rule enforcements.
- Know location and proper use of all safety and rescue equipment.
- Report any irregular discipline, safety or maintenance problems to Boat Launch and Beach Manager, Assistant Launch and Beach Manager, the Lakefront Coordinator, and the Recreation Supervisor.
- Complete all necessary paperwork accurately and efficiently including incident reports, beach checklists, and cleaning checklist according to the Winnetka Park District guidelines.
- Be at the lakefront and ready to begin no later than15 minutes before the shift begins.
- Wear appropriate uniform at all times while on duty, including Winnetka Park District polo, name tag, close toed shoes, and presentable shorts/pants.
- Attend and participate in staff meetings and trainings.
- Secure a qualified substitute for any assigned shift when unable to work.
- Act as a representative of the Winnetka Park District and as a role model for all boat launch staff. Actions must reflect policies and procedures set by the Park District.
- Perform other duties assigned by the Recreation Supervisor, Boat Launch and Beach Manager, Assistant Launch and Beach Manager, and/or Lakefront Coordinator
- Shall proactively perform all job tasks within the rules and guidelines of the District's safety program.
- Assist with special events as deemed necessary by the Winnetka Park District.
Lloyd Boat Launch and Beach Attendants is under the direction and supervision of the Boat Launch and Beach Assistant Manager, Boat Launch and Beach Manager, Recreation Supervisor, and the Lakefront Coordinator in the absence of the Recreation Supervisor.
Lloyd Boat Launch and Beach Attendants works closely with co-workers and members of the general public. Lloyd Boat Launch and Beach Attendants must display safety conscientiousness at all times and have the ability to deal with people in a stressful environment, which includes upset patrons. The ability to work proficiently during busy or stressful situations, which includes having a large amount of boat traffic going in and out of the launch area, is also required. The Boat Launch Attendant must demonstrate a respectful demeanor to members of the management team.
Lloyd Boat Launch and Beach Attendants is required to work with speed and accuracy for most of the day. Lloyd Boat Launch and Beach Attendants must be able to handle average to heavy weight materials or equipment. The ability to respond quickly and efficiently to emergency situations is also necessary.
Lloyd Boat Launch and Beach Attendants must be able to work in hot and humid conditions, as well as various other weather conditions, including, but not limited to cold weather and rain. Lloyd Boat Launch and Beach Attendants must have the ability to pay attention to potential threatening weather situations and make decisions when the area is unsafe for patrons.
Lloyd Boat Launch and Beach Attendants must know and enforce all boat launch policies and rules, which includes being familiar and complying with said polices and rules. The ability to do basic math, including making accurate change, is also necessary.