Special Education Supervisor - Long-Term Substitute
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Supervise and support programs for students with disabilities under the guidelines of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA).
- Remain knowledgeable about the developments and trends in special education and attend regional and state informational meetings.
- Supervise implementation of special education programs and work collaboratively with the office of Academic Affairs to design programs to meet the needs of all students.
- Supports building administrators in the review of special education student performance data and supports design of programs to improve student outcomes.
- Remain current in state and federal compliance issues related to the provision of special education.
- Consult with teaching staff and building administration through monthly meetings and provide ongoing supports to improve student learning and compliance monitoring.
- Provide district coordination of Alternate Assessment and provide support to building test coordinators relative to allowable testing accommodations and environments.
- Provide staff development related to enhancements in the special education programming and supports to staff for maintenance of federal and state compliance expectations.
- Provide consultative support to special education teams when requested by special education staff or building administration.
- Act as case manager and district representative at ETR and IEP meetings as well as manifestation determination reviews as needed.
- Evaluate assigned special education support staff.
- Resolve problems and respond to parental requests for information or assistance in a timely fashion. Participate in community activities including evening parent meetings.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Director of Student Services.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Ability to communicate effectively with students, parents, colleagues and administration. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from students, parents, agencies, teachers or members of the school community. Ability to write speeches and articles for publication that conforms to prescribed style and format. Ability to effectively present information to administration, staff, public groups, and/or Board of Education.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Minimum Master’s degree in education and appropriate administrative/supervisor license.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with students, peers, parents and community. Ability to speak clearly and concisely in written or oral communication. Ability to use computers where applicable. Demonstrate knowledge of relational database skills. Ability to perform duties with awareness of all district requirements and Board of Education policies.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, walk, stand, talk or hear, use hands to finger, handle or feel, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Travel to facilities within the school district.