Elementary Instructional Math Specialist
ELEMENTARY INSTRUCTIONAL MATH SPECIALIST
SUPERVISOR: Building Administrator and the Curriculum Coordinator
PAYMENT RATE: Based on Based on Certified Teacher’s Salary Schedule
- MA in Education
- Extensive experience and expertise in teaching math
- Experience in coaching teachers preferred
- Minimum 3-5 years of successful teaching experience at elementary level
- Other qualifications as accepted by the Board
To coach elementary teachers in the use of instructional strategies and skills that will enable each student to master the math skills appropriate to age, grade level, and individual capacity.
- Provide leadership by analyzing data, diagnosing math problems and prescribing strategies teachers can implement to improve math achievement for all elementary students.
- Develop methods to obtain data and use existing data to assess and determine the math capacity of the district’s students.
- Diagnose areas for concentration to improve math in the district.
- Instruct teachers in the use of strategies, methods, and techniques to improve math
- Observe classroom instruction and coach teachers to ensure math strategies and methods
are being effectively implemented.
- Coach teachers and assist teachers to analyze student needs and to effectively utilize math
strategies to meet student needs.
- Model and demonstrate effective use of math strategies.
- Provide leadership and coordination of math instruction at the elementary level.
- Conduct professional development workshops and demonstrations pertinent to methods
and materials appropriate to various levels of math instruction.
- Works directly with teachers to ensure new learnings or expectations are being
implemented in every classroom.
- Assists with the development of special instructional programs for students identified as
below proficient in math.
- Assists with the development of extension activities for students identified as highly
proficient in math.
- Devises and maintains such records and reports as are necessary to the successful execution of the position.
- Contributes to the planning, development and execution of elementary professional development activities.
- Expresses concern for and sensitivity to the needs of all students regardless of their age, color, creed, national origin, race, religion, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, physical attributes, physical or mental ability or disability, ancestry, political party preference, political belief, socioeconomic status, or familial status.
- Works courteously and cooperatively with other staff members regardless of their age, color, creed, national origin, race, religion, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, physical attributes, physical or mental ability or disability, ancestry, political party preference, political belief, socioeconomic status, or familial status.
- Performs such other duties as are assigned by authorized representatives of the Board of Education.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS:
Physical and emotional ability and dexterity to perform required work and move about as
needed in a fast-pace, high-intensive work environment.
TERM OF EMPLOYMENT:
Ten months per year. Salary and work year to be established by the Board of Trustees
Performance effectiveness evaluated in accordance with Mississippi Statutes and Board of Education Policy.