Assist Head Custodian - Central Office - 5:00 PM - 2:00 AM
License and Certification Qualifications: Valid Georgia Class C Driver's License preferred.
Education Qualifications: High school diploma or equivalent required.
Experience Qualifications: One year experience in industrial or commercial custodial work required.
Skills Qualifications: Ability to supervise and train personnel; advanced knowledge of and the ability to proficiently perform, demonstrate, teach, and evaluate the custodial care skills and tasks of the Gwinnett County Public Schools (GCPS) Custodial Care Program and other general custodial practices; ability to relate to administrators, teachers, students, and visitors of the school; ability to hear, understand, follow, and provide oral instructions given in the English language; ability to read, understand, follow, and provide written instructions in the English language at a minimum 6th grade level, such as safety instructions, use and disposal instructions on custodial product labels, GCPS Custodial Toolbox training materials, and other forms, documents, or notes provided by the supervisor; and ability to organize and lead staff to work effectively together as a team.
Primary Responsibilities: Assist the Head Custodian - Central Office and Facilities Manager - Instructional Support Center in supervising and coordinating activities of custodial staff to follow the GCPS Custodial Care Program and maintain the central office, adjacent buildings, and property in a safe, clean, sanitary, and orderly condition.
1. Assist in the supervision of assigned central office custodial staff in performing custodial care tasks of the GCPS Custodial Care Program and other general custodial practices to maintain a safe, clean, sanitary, and orderly learning and working environment.
a. Attend assigned sessions of scheduled Head Custodian - Central Office staff development meetings or in-service training provided by the Department of Environmental and Supply Services in the Head Custodian's absence.
b. Conduct and document the training of the assigned central office custodial staff in all facets of the GCPS Custodial Care Program and other general custodial practices.
c. Inspect completed work for conformance to standards and provide supplemental training to improve skills and achieve standards.
d. Maintain appropriate, positive, and cooperative working relationships with team members, assigned facility staff, and other GCPS employees in all work-related interactions.
e. Assist in resolving GCPS staff problems or refer them to the Head Custodian - Central Office and/or Facilities Manager - Instructional Support Center as appropriate.
2. Assist in development and implementation of detailed work schedules and assignments for assigned central office custodians and ensure areas of the central office and adjacent buildings are cleaned and sanitized consistently with the frequencies and standards of the GCPS Custodial Care Program.
a. Monitor work of assigned central office custodial staff to confirm tasks are completed as scheduled.
b. Adjust work schedules of assigned central office custodial staff when needed and assure critical tasks are completed.
c. Oversee assigned substitute custodians in the extended absence of regular central office custodial staff.
3. Ensure appropriate chemicals, supplies, and equipment, which have been approved for use according to GCPS Policies and Procedures, are utilized by assigned staff to perform all custodial tasks.
a. Assist with the purchasing of approved items in a timely manner to maintain an adequate inventory of chemicals, supplies, and equipment to perform all custodial tasks in the absence of the Head Custodian - Central Office.
b. Inspect custodial care tools and equipment to confirm that items are maintained in a clean, sanitary, and safe working condition according to instructions and guidelines of the GCPS Custodial Care Program.
c. Submit maintenance work requests to the ISC Facilities Office of inoperable machinery, equipment, plumbing fixtures, and/or damages to and of the facility structure.
4. Distribute custodial supplies to employees as needed.
a. Monitor the supply inventory level by means of Asset Tracking Database/System and ensure inventory is replenished by completing necessary orders.
5. Perform necessary tasks assigned and/or in accordance with an assigned schedule including, but not limited to, floor maintenance, toilet and dressing area cleaning and disinfecting, dusting, glass and bright work cleaning, emptying trash properly, care and maintenance of equipment, and care and maintenance of supplies and work areas.
6. Work with contractual site supervisor to resolve contractual staff problems/concerns or refer them to the Head Custodian - Central Office and/or Facilities Manager - Instructional Support Center as appropriate.
7. Perform room and facility setups, move, and relocate facility furniture and equipment.
8. Suggest alternate cleaning practices, products, tools, or equipment for the GCPS Custodial Care Program and assist the Environmental and Supply Services Department in related evaluations to identify those that are more efficient or effective.
9. Perform other duties as assigned.