Enterprise Systems Engineer - Network/Telecommunication Svcs
License and Certification Qualifications: Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE) certification required.
Education Qualifications: High school diploma or equivalent required. Bachelor's degree in related field preferred.
Experience Qualifications: Five years experience in directory services administration, network/server hardware, and Operating System (OS) platforms required. Experience with Microsoft Server and Active Directory networks preferred.
Skills Qualifications: Knowledgeable in concepts, methodology, and functionality of Local Area Networks (LAN), network operating systems, and directory services; skills in configuration of server equipment and related hardware and software requirements; ability to work well and communicate with others in an effective manner, both written and oral; ability to analyze and solve problems; ability to translate needs and problems into creative solutions; strong and effective communication and customer service skills with the ability to work well with peers and customers; ability to manage multiple projects; and ability to supervise and assign projects to contracted personnel with minimal guidance.
Primary Responsibilities: Perform at the highest level in all technical phases of network design, implementation, and support in Microsoft Server platform and directory service environments in a routed/switched infrastructure.
1. Create and set standards for implementation and management of Active Directory objects, draft the documentation, create objects as required, and ensure standards are enforced throughout the enterprise.
a. Develop standards and prepare documentation drafts for the creation and management of Active Directory objects.
b. Coordinate with the technical writer to ensure the published documentation reflects Gwinnett County Public Schools (GCPS) standards.
c. Create scripts to create large numbers of Active Directory objects in a timely manner.
d. Scan the directory for objects not meeting the enterprise standards.
2. Create and document server images from which the enterprise servers are built and coordinate the installation of the servers.
a. Create server images and provide a build checklist to the installation team.
b. Coordinate with the installation team to facilitate bringing servers into Active Directory, making sure the servers meet all standards.
3. Perform directory health checks, identify trends, analyze and document results, and take proactive and preemptive measures against directory service failures.
a. Evaluate the health of the enterprise directories using specialized software and system utilities.
4. Design system processes and procedures for enterprise backup of Active Directory servers, create and document backup jobs, report status, and repair any software or hardware issues.
a. Develop and maintain an enterprise backup system effectively utilizing the features integrated into the software/hardware using specialized backup software.
b. Schedule and monitor all backup jobs.
c. Document all job schedules and prepare drafts for submission to the technical writer for publication.
d. Verify the integrity of all backups by conducting restores on a rotating schedule.
5. Supervise and instruct the LAN operations’ contracted personnel.
a. Assign tasks and provide mentoring to the contracted personnel who perform functions in support of the departmental responsibilities.
6. Analyze, troubleshoot, and repair network failures.
7. Provide support to customer service local school and technical staff.
a. Provide direct support for network, hardware, and directory service issues via the telephone and on-site to Technology Support Technician (TST’s) and level two support staff.
b. Provide the instruction and course material for training classes as needed.
8. Perform other duties as assigned.