School Nurse I - Health & Social Services
License and Certification Qualifications: Registered Nurse (RN) license through the Georgia Board of Nursing and a valid Georgia driver's license required.
Education Qualifications: Bachelor's degree in nursing required.
Experience Qualifications: Three years pediatric experience in public health, hospital, and/or related medical facility required. Experience in the school setting preferred.
Skills Qualifications: Ability to provide specialized health related services on a direct/indirect basis; skills in training and supervision of health related procedures; ability to communicate effectively and courteously with the public, students, parents, and staff; ability to act as a representative of Gwinnett County Public Schools; and ability to work successfully with colleagues.
Primary Responsibilities: Perform nursing assessment, planning, intervention, evaluation, and referral activities for the purpose of identifying and meeting the health care needs of students and addressing health-related barriers to learning.
1. Assist local school staff in developing individualized health management plans for students with identified health conditions in collaboration with parents and health care providers.
2. Provide training to designated local school staff on the implementation of the individualized health management plan including any appropriate specialized health care procedures needed for students to attend school.
3. Provide training and professional development regarding health related issues for school staff members as needed.
4. Perform appropriate specialized health care procedures as needed for students to attend school on a case-by-case basis.
5. Consult and support school personnel, parents, and students on student health issues including assisting local schools in the development of those areas of the Individual Education Program (IEP) or 504 plan related to student health conditions and medical considerations.
6. Serve as a liaison between school staff, parents, community health practitioners, and health agencies for the purpose of obtaining and interpreting health information pertinent to educational planning in order to enhance the educational process and promote optimal level of wellness and functioning for students with health conditions and needs.
7. Provide nursing technical support to the district in establishing system-wide health procedures and policies in compliance with all applicable laws and regulations under the supervision of the Lead School Nurse.
8. Assist schools in managing communicable diseases including the implementation of infection control procedures in collaboration with health care providers and local Public Health Department staff.
9. Perform other duties as assigned.