JobID 126 : (TBD) - Sign Language Interpreter-CERTIFIED (#390334)
PURPOSE OF POSITION: This position begins during the current 2018/2019 School Year
Directly assist special needs students (through guidance and supervision of assigned teacher) in classroom, program and intervention support in order to carry out students Individualized Education Plans.
High School Diploma or Equivalent
Sign Language - ESSE Certification (Level 3 or higher preferred) but will assess at interview
Paraeducators may perform any combination of the duties shown below. Duties may vary from site to site. This position description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties and can include other duties to be assigned.
- Provide student instruction as directed by teacher and other staff to individuals or small groups in a variety of areas including academics, gross and fine motor skills, speech and language, feeding skills, self-help skills and behavior supports in a variety of school settings.
- Provide accommodations and modifications for hearing impaired and deaf students as instructed in daily school routines and assessments.
- Monitor and manage student behavior in accordance with established guidelines.
- Prepare instructional materials as directed by teacher including coordinating supplies and materials.
- Assist with student schedules, data, attendance, classroom work and administrative records as required.
- Assist the teacher in maintaining health and safety of special education students by being aware of the environment and the special needs of each student.
- Supervise students inside and outside the classroom
- Lifts non-ambulatory or disabled student for various purposes including but not limited to lessons, toileting, recreation, and loading and unloading the bus.
- Attend special training/ staff development as assigned related to the hearing impaired program and other needs-fulfill the number of required inservice hours as specified per the Letter of Employment (or contract)
- Assist teacher in maintaining data related to student progress
- Be familiar with and follow the Classified Employee Handbook
- Learn procedures, functions and limitations of assigned duties
- Have a basic understanding of sign language (SEE preferred) and complete activities necessary to maintain signing skills. Level can be assessed at interview
- Complete activities that show the interpreter is working toward each progressive skill level
- Understand and follow oral and written directions
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with others
- Learn subjects taught in district school
- Carry out safe practices in classroom and playground activities
- Use correct English usage grammar, spelling, punctuation and vocabulary
- Reading and Writing communication skills
- Exhibit interpersonal skills including tact, patience, courtesy and following directives
Manual dexterity tasks Frequent
Carrying 25 feet Occasional
*Transfers of students in certain situations
- Both indoors and outdoors
- Possible hazards: stairs, dust, drafts, communicable diseases and others depending on assignment
- Moderate environmental conditions and noise levels. May be required to wear protective garments and/or gloves for exposure control under limited circumstances.