Educational Interpreter (ESC-Council of Governments)
Provide interpretive services (ASL, Pidgin SE) for students in public schools and career center to facilitate communications between students with hearing loss/deafness and/or communication disabilities and other individuals through oral and signed language. This position is being paid by ESC-Council of Governments http://www.escco.org/esc-council-of-governments-cog/
- Valid Ohio interpreter for the hearing impaired license
- Meets all mandated health requirements
- Documentation of a clear criminal record
- Complies with drug-free workplace rules and board policies
- Demonstrated proficiency in spoken English
- Proficient in communication skills including but not limited to: American Sign Language (ASL), Pidgin Signed English (PSE), and/or Signed Exact English (SEE).
- Strong voicing skills that accurately reflect expression
- Open to use Total Communication Approach
- Self-directed, congenial disposition and strong interpersonal skills
- Requires successful completion and periodic renewal of state mandated and service center training requirements
Responsibilities and Essential Functions:
- Provides interpreting and/or transliterating services.
- Uses communication methods that best meet the needs of assigned students’ IEP.
- Works with staff to ensure that services are provided in the least restrictive environment.
- Helps maintain a positive learning environment.
- Upholds board policies and follows administrative guidelines and procedures;
- Promotes favorable image of service center;
- Promotes effective use of interpretive services;
- Collaborates with educational team to address supplemental service needs;
- Helps educate staff about using interpretive services and providing visual access to deaf and hard of hearing students;
- Uses preparation time to increase knowledge of classroom to effectively interpret material; offers help when students ask or their behavior suggests they need assistance when appropriate;
- Helps teacher implement classroom modifications/accommodations as requested.
- Positions students to take full advantage of each learning environment;
- Respects personal privacy and maintains confidentiality of privileged information;
- Participates in staff meetings and professional growth opportunities;
- Performs other specific job-related duties as directed.
Commensurate with experience and in accordance with specified salary schedule
Assigned Coordinator of Special Education and Teacher
Please complete the employment application through this online system.