JobID 7158 : Bilingual Tutor (#381961)
The Instructional Tutor’s primary responsibility is to work individually with groups of students under the direct supervision of and in close proximity to a certified teacher. The Instructional Tutor shall utilize the most effective practices in the teaching of reading, writing and mathematics to meet the requirements of the NCLB Act.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: None
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Classroom Instruction, such as:
- Implementing teacher-planned activities for individuals and small groups of students in the academic areas of math, reading, and writing utilizing other languages if necessary.
- Tutoring individuals or groups of students in reading, writing, and math utilizing hands-on, activity based learning as well as other strategies based upon differing student learning styles to more effectively engage students.
- Communicating regularly with the teacher regarding daily plans and any observations.
- Help monitor student achievement and instructional needs of the students in the areas of reading, writing, and math by reviewing and utilizing school data.
- Participating in in-service opportunities to keep current in best practices.
High School diploma or GED and have:
a) Completed at least two years of study at an institution of higher education;
b) Obtained an associate degree or higher;
c) Met a rigorous standard of quality and can demonstrate through a formal state or local academic assessment the knowledge of and ability to assist in the instruction of
reading, writing, and mathematics or the instruction of readiness of these subjects.
- Must possess good oral and written communication skills in both English and other
- Exceptional ability in people skills, including the ability to work as a team, and
- Demonstrate ability to work with diverse student population, including minority and/or low performing students.
LENGTH OF WORK YEAR: 9 months
This description is written primarily for position evaluation purposes. It describes duties and responsibilities that are representative of the nature and level of work assigned to the position. The principal activities are representative and not necessarily all inclusive.