Substitute Registered Nurse (ongoing posting)
Substitute Regiwstered Nurses provide direct nursing services to students and staff members. To maximize health and wellness in the school community. To perform duties in accordance with professional standards, district/state board of education policies and state law regarding nurse practice.
This is work involving professional nursing for the health services office. There is considerable contact with staff, students, parents, and outside agencies. This employee works within established Standards of Nurse Practice Act, exercises strict confidentiality, uses initiative and independent judgment in performing duties and keeps informed of procedures, policies, and mandates that affect the delivery of nursing services in schools. This employee must possess the skills and knowledge to react to a medical emergency.
- Four-year college degree and State of Illinois registered nurse license.
- Current CPR/AED certification; Illinois vision/hearing screening credentials preferred.
- Physical ability to perform the duties required of nurse practice in a large school setting, such as going up and down several flights of stairs, responding to medical emergencies in all areas of the campus, and treating patients on the ground.
- Experience in professional nursing; additional school nursing experience preferred.
- Basic computer skills and ability to learn new software applications.
- Exemplary interpersonal skills and ability to communicate clearly and distinctly with staff, students, parents, and outside agencies.
- Assists students and staff by providing direct professional nursing services, first aid, illness and emergency care to students, staff, and others in the building in response to the nursingassessment and in accordance with professional standards, school policy and procedures, and state and local mandates.
- Assists students by:
- maintaining communication with the Health Services Coordinator, teachers, other school personnel and parents/guardians to enhance cooperative action that meets the health and safety needs of students;
- administering medication with appropriate documentation;
- making assessment and referrals for suspected abuse/neglect as a mandated reporter; and
- providing health promotion counseling and services to enhance student health and wellness.
- Assists the health services coordinator to maintain efficient health services by:
- maintaining accurate health records to assure compliance with state and other mandates;
- completing accident/incident reports;
- compiling data for statistical purposes;
- documenting student and staff visits through computer charting system, individual health records, and log books;
- conducting mandated screening procedures for vision and hearing;
- maintaining the daily environment of the health office facility and supplies; and
- utilizing existing technology in the performance of duties.
- Represents health and wellness, projecting a positive attitude to the school community.
- Continues job performance enhancement by participating in professional growth activities.
- Performs other duties as assigned by supervisor.
Rate of Pay: $35.00 per hour
Winnetka Campus, 385 Winnetka Ave., Winnetka, IL 60093
Northfield Campus, 7 Happ Rd., Northfield, IL 60093