Director of Finance
ReGeneration Schools (“ReGeneration”) is a school management organization that supports public charter schools in Chicago. Our mission is to create high performing schools that will close the student achievement gap for low-income students. ReGeneration currently manages three K-8 charter schools on behalf of Chicago International Charter School (CICS): CICS Avalon, CICS Basil, and CICS Washington Park. In total, these schools serve over 1,600 students. Since the campuses have been under new management, our schools have doubled in literacy scores. We view literacy as essential in helping students develop their reading and writing skills. These skills are necessary to raise their academic performance and make them more prepared to be excellent students in high school and college. For more information about our schools, visit http://regenerationschools.org/.
Join our team during this exciting period of our development. As we continue to strive to improve, we will usher in a day in Chicago when the promise of educational excellence for “all” of our children will truly mean “all”. We will only get there with great leaders.
We are seeking an ambitious Director of Finance to join our regional team. This individual will oversee the development and execution of a sound fiscal strategy to maximize return on financial assets by establishing and managing financial policies, procedures, controls, and reporting systems. Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer, the Director of Finance will analyze and synthesize critical issues and make concrete financial recommendations. This individual will also determine and implement operational efficiencies that lead to A+ school and home office support. Quarterback all issues and decisions through management of the Finance Team and collaboration with other Home Office functions; and ensure legal and regulatory compliance for all accounting and financial reporting functions.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Manages budgeting process for all schools and home office and develops a sound fiscal strategy to meet organizational priorities and goals:
- Oversees development and maintenance of school-based and home office budgets.
- Build tools and templates and trainings to support and oversee Directors of Operations in school-level financial decision-making.
- Knows status of home office and school-based budgets and cash flow at all times.
- Conducts financial analysis and projects future financial position based of all entities based on funding environment and school-based programmatic and staffing decisions.
- Creates, implements, and monitors policies and systems for bookkeeping, accounting, purchasing/procurement, reimbursements, expense reports, workflow/approvals for multiple entities, and other fiscal functions.
- Manages the ReGeneration finance team and works with individual schools to ensure flawless execution of core finance functions:
- Accounts receivable, accounts payable, journal entries
- Purchasing / procurement
- Bank reconciliations
- Payroll and benefits
- Tax reporting
- Monthly and annual budget and cash flow reports
- All government, charter authorizer, school district, and donor reporting requirements
- Establishes and enforces policies and internal controls, procedures, and systems at ReGeneration and all schools to ensure legal and regulatory compliance:
- Keeps abreast of best practices and regulations to ensure effectiveness and compliance.
- Effectively manages audits for Regenerations and all schools.
- Recruits and builds best of class finance team: hires, trains, develops and appraises staff energetically and effectively.
- Develops and maintains relationships with critical partners and vendors.
- Problem-solves organizational issues and models professional values.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Required knowledge, skills & abilities:
- Advanced financial strategy and planning skills.
- Extensive experience in financial reporting, financial analysis and cash flow management.
- An obsessive attention to detail and follow-through.
- Strong problem-analysis and problem-solving abilities.
- Solid communication and negotiation skills.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment; flexible, able to work autonomously as well as take direction as needed.
- Proven leadership skills with the ability to attract, develop and inspire a team; exceptional ability to bridge and enhance cooperative working relationships.
- Minimum educational level:
- Bachelor’s Degree; MBA preferred.
- Experience required:
- Minimum 3 years experience managing a financial function in a fast-paced environment, preferably with experience in a start-up environment.
- Working knowledge of nonprofit fund accounting, government accounting, and small business accounting systems.
- Experience in K-12 public education preferred.
Competitive salary and benefits (based on experience).
How to Apply:
Applications are only accepted online at http://victoryep.com/careers/chicago/.
ReGeneration is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age or disability.