Physical Education Teacher - Elementary (K-4)
ReGeneration Schools is a not-for-profit school management organization that supports public charter schools in Chicago. Our mission is to create high performing schools that will close the student achievement gap for low-income students. ReGeneration currently manages three K-8 charter schools on behalf of Chicago International Charter School (CICS): CICS Avalon, CICS Basil, and CICS Washington Park. In total, these schools serve over 1,600 students. Since the campuses have been under new management, our schools have doubled in literacy scores. We view literacy as essential in helping students develop their reading and writing skills. Although we made great gains, we know our work is not complete. We are committed to ensuring all students are prepared to attend and succeed in high school and beyond.
We are seeking a Physical Education Teachers (K-4) to join one of our elemenary campuses. This candidate will have a proven track record of a structuring physical education program that includes principles of human movement, motor skills, health-related fitness and training. This candidate will also collaborate with classroom teachers and specialty teachers to integrate learning across curriculums.
- Design and implement curricula and student activities to meet academic standards.
- Create a safe environment following safety procedures, principles of emergency first aid, and equipment maintenance procedures.
- Develop a positive, orderly learning environment maximizing on-task behavior.
- Work collaboratively with school team to determine instructional and social needs of students that ensures success, and promotes students’ well-being.
- Collaborate with fellow teachers to create a friendly and safe environment demonstrating shared responsibility for achievement.
- Adhere to and support all school policies to enforce school core values, high expectations, and strict code of conduct.
- Set and attain ambitious student achievement and social-emotional benchmarks.
- Model and encourage appropriate student behavior (i.e. grit, self-control, social intelligence, optimism and curiosity).
- Work with school team to constantly evaluate and improve mastery of instructional, culture building, and leadership skills.
- Maintain a classroom that demonstrates discipline, order and rigor.
- Ensure that all students graduate ready for the next academic level.
- Reflect critically on teaching practice and implement improvement strategies as needed.
- Participate in mandatory summer orientation (3 weeks) and training beginning August 4, 2014.
- Believes low-income students can become college and career ready.
- Willingness to work long hours to successfully get the job done.
- High expectations on personal and team performance.
- Flexible to changing priorities and conditions.
- Demonstrate initiative and creativity.
- Organized and ability to multi-task.
- Communicate clearly and effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Organized and sustain compliance in meeting deadlines.
- Demonstrate mastery of physical education and behavioral interventions.
- 1-5 years of teaching experience in an urban setting.
- Valid State Certification (Type 10 – Physical Education) preferred by not required (If not certified, need 5 years experience).
- Bachelor Degree from an accredited institution required.
Competitive salary and benefits (based on experience).
ReGeneration Schools is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age or disability.