ReGeneration Schools is a non-profit school management organization that supports public charter schools in Chicago. Our mission is to create high performing schools that will close the student achievement gap for low-income students. Victory currently manages three elementary (K-8) charter schools on behalf of Chicago International Charter School (CICS): CICS Avalon, CICS Basil, and CICS Washington Park. In total, these schools serve over 1,500 students. Since the campuses have been under new management, our schools have doubled in literacy scores. Although we made great gains, we know our work is not complete. We are committed to ensuring all students are prepared to attend and succeed in high school and beyond.
We are seeking an experienced School Custodian to join our CICS Basil and CICS Washington Park campuses. These candidates will clean and maintain school facility to ensure a safe, secure and comfortable environment conducive to student learning. Reporting to the Director of Operations, these individuals will also uphold the mission and values established by CICS/ReGeneration Schools.
- Cleans classrooms, rest rooms, hallways, multipurpose room, offices and all interior rooms during the day
- Floor care including mopping, stripping and waxing
- Daily trash removal and cleaning of all receptacles
- Sets up and cleans dining area before, between, and during breakfast and/or lunch periods
- Responds to emergency cleanups during the day, such as clogged drains and spills
- Performs routine maintenance, including painting, replacing lights, drywall (sheet-rock), plastering, and replacement/installation of floor tiles
- Performs routine grounds-keeping duties, including picking up litter, weeding, mowing the lawn, maintenance of sidewalk areas, salting of sidewalk and snow removal during inclement weather
- Sets up and arranges furniture for assemblies, meetings and special events
- Secure, protect and ensure the proper usage and maintenance of all custodial equipment
- Assists with shipping and receiving of packages, parcels and large items
- Light moving, painting and carpentry
- Open and close facilities and provide access to classrooms or offices during the normal school week, after hours, and occasionally weekends as directed
- Perform walk through of the facility during the day in order to ensure the building and the outer perimeters are clean and safe; ensure all bathrooms are properly stocked at all times
- Must understand and maintain current MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheets) at all times
- Responsible for inventory tracking and control
- Submit Supply Order Requests that are within budget parameters
- Perform other related duties as required and assigned
- Demonstrate knowledge of, and support of campus' mission, vision, value statements, standards, policies and procedures, operating instructions, confidentiality standards, and code of ethical behavior
- Other duties as required
- Familiarity with the use of maintenance equipment such as including snow blower, sander, power drills, etc.
- Knowledge of safe and efficient use of cleaning materials, chemicals, tools and equipment
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to communicate effectively in verbal and written form, with both students and adults
- Ability to maintain simple records
- Ability and willingness to meet the physical requirements necessary to perform the required duties, including ability to lift, carry, push, pull and move heavy objects on a regular basis
- Ability to interact appropriately with children of different ages
- Ability and desire to work in a fast-paced, highly disciplined, sometimes unpredictable school environment
- Maturity, humility, strong work ethic, sense of humor, and roll-up my sleeves attitude
- Willingness to take on additional responsibilities as necessary or as given by the Director of Operations
- Must have ability to stand for long periods of time, squat/stoop/kneel, reach above the head, reach forward, repeat the same hand, arm, or finger motion many times; and consistently lift up to 30 pounds
- 2-5 years of custodial experience preferred
- High School Graduate Degree
- Previous custodian experience, preferably in a school environment
Competitive salary and benefits (based on experience).
ReGeneration Schools is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age or disability.