JobID 295 : Teacher Assistant- Educational and Life Skills Program (#379458)
NSSED is currently recruiting for Teacher Assistants in our Educational and Life Skills Program. Teacher Assistants are an integral part of our educational teams and they are instrumental in helping us remain committed to the possibilities in every child. NSSED offers excellent benefits and a competitive hourly rate.
If you are interested in a position as a Teacher Assistant at NSSED, please note that you must have a Paraprofessional Approval from the Illinois State Board of Education. To find out more on how to obtain your Paraprofessional Approval please select the following link which will take you to the Lake County Regional Office of Education's website: http://www.isbe.net/licensure/html/paraprofessional.htm. For staff needing to take the Paraprofessional Test to obtain their approval NSSED is an approved proctor of this exam. Please ask us about this when you apply!
Title or Position: Teacher Assistant- Educational and Life Skills Program
The teacher assistant’s primary role is to assist in all aspects of the daily instructional program for special education students. The teacher assistant may be responsible for small group instruction under the direct or indirect supervision of the teacher or other person designated by NSSED to direct or supervise teacher assistants.
The teacher assistant will participate in activities necessary to maintain classroom integration and to support a child’s IEP in all curricula activities which include classroom, community, vocational, recreational/leisure, and domestic domains as directed.
- Proficient communication skills
- Effective collaborative problem-solving ability
- Engages in continuous professional improvement
- Possesses job specific skills required to meet essential job functions
- Assist the teacher in the preparation of materials
- Conduct individual and small group instruction under the direction of the teacher
- Assist in behavior management under the direction of the teacher
- Assist in toileting and feeding under the direction of the teacher
- Participate in team planning meetings, staffing, parent conferences as requested by the teacher
- Participate in in-service programs and professional meetings as requested by the teacher
- Participate in vocational instruction within or outside the school facility not to exceed 80% of their working time
- Perform such other duties and services under the supervising teacher’s direction as may be related to the smooth functioning of NSSED according to the designated supervisor
- Assist in lifting students who weigh over fifty (50) pounds
- Transport students by van or bus programs as directed (must hold Type B drivers license)
- Work collaboratively with teacher, parents, and support personnel to improve services for students
- Be able to safely restrain students or assist in safe restraint when their behavior plans include physical restraint
- Dress appropriately at all times consistent with the school, work site, and community standards to model appropriate dress for student
- Any significant change of job duties shall be subject to impact bargaining and shall be considered temporary until such bargaining is completed
- High School Diploma
- Some College Preferred
- State Paraprofessional License (60 or more college credit hours or pass Paraprofessional test to apply for license) OR Substitute Teacher license (Bachelor’s degree required)
ELS Program Administrator
ELS Program Supervisor