Night Cleaner (Part-Time)
Duties: The primary function of the school custodian and cleaner is to maintain the assigned school building and grounds in a condition of operating excellence and safety so that full educational use of all facilities may be made at all times.
Responsibilities: The key responsibilities of a custodian/cleaner include but are not limited to:
1. Sweep, mop, strip, wax and seal floors; vacuum and shampoo rugs and carpets.
2. Dust, wash and polish furniture and woodwork.
3. Empty and clean waste receptacles.
4. Clean restrooms, locker rooms and showers.
5. Wash windows and walls, polish metal work, clean chalk boards and white boards.
6. Clean window coverings such as drapes and blinds.
7. Pick up paper and other debris from school grounds, walk areas and the areas adjacent to school facilities.
9. Perform emergency cleanup service resulting from breakage, vandalism, spilling and illness.
10. General cleaning of classrooms, hallways, kitchen/cafeteria areas, gym area, teacher work areas and office areas.
1. Open the school building each morning as well as gates or fences, and set the security system.
2. Inspect the building each day for damage. Areas to be inspected include playground equipment, fencing, building exterior, building interior. Any damages must be reported to the building principal or the Director of Building and Grounds.
3. Perform minimum yard work by pulling weeds in flower beds and raking leaves.
4. Maintain all areas of the building so that they are safe and free of hazards or debris.
5. Remove snow and ice from areas where safety is an issue.
6. Inspect any vehicles or mechanical equipment the custodian uses in performance of his duties.
7. Conduct monthly checks of fire alarm systems.
8. Conduct monthly roof inspections.
9. Repair and fix broken desks and chairs.
10. Work with supervisors to develop and maintain a program of safe conditions and practice to provide for the welfare of the students, staff and visitors to the building.
11. Look for ways to improve the physical structure and initiate procedures to accomplish these improvements.
12. Perform minor maintenance work as assigned.
13. Complete additional duties as assigned by supervisor. District 155 expects support staff to be community-centered professionals with a high degree of energy, flexibility, and initiative. Expectations are that custodial/cleaning staff also have well-developed interpersonal skills, reflective in practice, and seek continuous self-improvement.
Cleaning of all bathrooms; classrooms and hallways according instructions. Must be able to lift 20 lbs and push vacuum cleaner.
Experience in building cleaning is preferred. Demonstrated competence for assigned responsiblities is required. Must be able to read and understand directions given in English.
1. Be at least 18 years of age with a High School Diploma.
2. Be of good health and character.
3. Be able to follow both written and oral directions.
4. Be willing to work with and around adults and children.
5. Be able to follow a set of work schedules, and procedures.
6. Be willing to learn new skills, and follow directions.
7. Experience in custodial duties, preferred.
Hours are 3pm - 6pm, Monday through Friday. On-call for potentially more hours if needed.
Working Environment: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The position’s functions require some agility to lift and/or move up to 50 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds.
Apply online. Only electronic online applications will be considered.
All applications will be reviewed periodically or as needed upon verification of open substitute cleaner positions occur