JobID 193 : Substitute Teacher Day-to-Day (#377467)
Job Title: Substitute Teacher
Reports to: Principal
School Grade: K-5/6-8
Number of Days: Per Calendar
FLSA Status: Exempt
Prepared by: Human Resources
Updated: December 1, 2016
Position Summary: To help students learn subject matter and skills that will contribute to their development as mature, able, and responsible men and women in the absence of the regular teacher.
- Education: Bachelor Degree from an Accredited Institution of Higher Learning
- Experience: Ability to work cooperatively and collaboratively with others, demonstrate self-discipline and initiative. Follow state and district guidelines.
- Guides the learning process toward the achievement of curriculum goals and establishes clear objectives for all lessons, units, projects, and to communicate these objectives to students, as adopted by the local and state Board of Education.
- Reports to the building principal or school secretary upon arrival at the school.
- Maintains as full as possible the established routines and procedures of the school and classroom to which assigned.
- Teaches lesson plan as outlined by the absent teacher.
- Performs all extra duties for the absent teacher as required by the building principal.
- Meets and instructs assigned classes in the locations and at the times designated.
- Plans a program of study that, as much as possible, meets the individual needs, interests, and abilities of the students.
- Creates a classroom environment that is conducive to learning and appropriate to the maturity and interests of the students.
- Prepares for classes assigned and shows written evidence of preparation upon request of immediate superior.
- Takes all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, equipment, materials, and facilities.
- Maintains accurate, complete, and correct records as required by law, district policy, and administrative regulation, pertaining to teacher and students.
- Assists the administration in implementing all policies and rules governing student life and conduct, and, for the classroom, develops reasonable rules of classroom behavior and procedure, and maintains order in the classroom in a fair and just manner.
- Makes provisions to be available to students and parents for education-related purposes outside the instructional day when required or requested to do so under reasonable terms.
- Continuously strives to improve professional competence and collaboration with colleagues and communities.
- Attends staff meetings, serves on staff committees, and performs duties as assigned by the principal, school board policies, or Superintendent of schools.
- Promotes public relations for the school’s programs and activities.
- Becomes acquainted with parents; reports any unusual occurrence or event to the principal or the designated representative immediately.
- Remains at school during the entire school day unless excused by the principal or the designated representative.
- Implements all rules and regulations, policies, and administrative guidelines as adopted by the school council and the Board of Education.
- Maintains a professional appearance as an example for students.
- Demonstrates knowledge and incorporates technology in daily tasks, as required.
- Maintains regular attendance and punctuality.
- Adheres to the professional code of conduct adopted by the ISBE.
- Performs other duties consistent with the position as may be requested by the Principal or Superintendent.
Skills and Abilities Required: The following characteristics and physical skills are important for the successful performance of assigned duties.
- Experience working in an urban school setting, with proven management and team building skill.
- Strong record of helping students achieve and sustain academic success, especially with minority and low-income student.
- Commitment to the belief that all students can learn and to the mission of educational equity.
- Capacity to define a vision, build teams and achieve results despite tremendous obstacles.
- Experience in strategic planning, resource allocation, leadership techniques, and coordination of people and resources. Record of success in leading adults; prior experience with personnel recruitment, selection, training, management, labor relations and supervision.
- Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching, and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Keen ability to use data in the decision making process and strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to continuously elevate professional contributions through ongoing reflection, building upon previous learning and being open and receptive to ongoing feedback.
- Active listening skill- Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Judgment and decision-making skills- Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Excellent interpersonal communication and writing skills.
Working Conditions: Exposure to the following situations may range from remote to frequent based on circumstances and factors that may not be predictable.
- Subject to stress caused by a changing environment, tight deadlines and heavy workload.
- Frequent use of electronic mail.
- Accidents improbable outside of minor injuries, such as cuts, scrapes, or bruises.
- No exposure to chemical or health hazards.
- Primarily require working indoors in environmentally controlled conditions.
- Normal effort or occasional periods of light physical activity.
Bellwood Public Schools is an equal opportunity employer offering employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, or disability. This job description summary does not imply that these are the only duties to be performed. This job description is subject to change in response to funding variables, emerging technologies, improved operating procedures, productivity factors, and unforeseen events.
To apply visit: www.SD88.org
Bellwood School District 88
640 Eastern Ave
Bellwood, IL 60401