POSITION DESCRIPTION: Bus Driver
Reports To: Transportation Supervisor
Starting at $13.37 Hourly
- Applicant must hold high school diploma or equivalent.
- Applicant must be 21 years of age
- Have a valid CDL, class A or B with airbrake and passenger endorsement
- Successful completion of the training programs as required by the State and District.
- Successfully pass a pre-employment drug and alcohol test.
- Receive a satisfactory background check.
- Must be a positive individual with the ability to work with a variety of individuals.
- Must have the physical ability to perform assigned duties and tasks unassisted.
Job Goal: Responsible for the safe transportation of students.
Supervisory Responsibilities: Students on the bus.
1. Have a working knowledge of rules, regulations and laws concerning operation of school bus and students and the proper student conduct.
2. Responsible for daily bus inspections required to identify mechanical deficiencies.
3. Complete daily maintenance including checking fluid levels, fueling vehicle, washing and cleaning bus and installing tire chains.
4. Responsible for vehicle operation during adverse weather conditions and road conditions.
5. Maintain proper student discipline including: keeping students properly seated, prevent students from throwing objects, maintain proper noise level to ensure safe operation of the vehicle, report any violation of policy regarding harassment, obsence behavior and language, vandalism on bus and enforce all rules regarding proper student conduct.
6. Develop seating arrangement and assign students accordingly.
7. Maintain daily roster of students and stops, completing reports as required by the department.
8. Be a safe and courteous driver, presenting a pleasant and helpful attitude when dealing with students and parents.
9. Shoe chains are required during winter months.
10. Additional duties as amended by Board approval as recommended by Principal.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing. Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively communicate in on-on-one and small group situations to parents, students and other employees of the district.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide all units of measure.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Ability to work in a friendly manner and to develop effective working relationships with students, staff and the school community. Ability to perform duties with awareness of all District requirements, Board policies, and applicable laws.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly sits and drives. The employee occasionally reaches with hands and arms, climbs, balances, stoops, kneels, crouches or crawls. The employee occasionally lifts and/or moves up to 50 pounds. While most duties are performed in the school bus, the employee may be required to perform duties on occasion outdoors in various types of weather, including inclement weather with temperatures at or below freezing for extended periods of time.
The noise level in the work environment is usually loud at a standard acceptable level for this environment. When supervising students, the employee is responsible for their safety, well-being, and work output.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: This position shall be considered in all respects "employment at will". The terms and descriptions set forth in this job description shall not create a property right in the employment and such are set forth only to advise the employee of when and what types of services will be required by the District so long as employment continues.
An employee working in this position shall at all times be subject to the direction of the supervisor to whom said employee has primary responsibility or said person's designee(s) and at all times shall be subject to the rules, regulations and policies of the District as promulgated by the Board of Trustees. Each employee shall be held responsible for having knowledge of said school district rules, regulations, and policies which have been reduced to writing and made available to the employee at the building administrator's office and the district-wide administration office.
EVALUATION: Performance of this job will be evaluated annually in accordance with provisions of the Board's policy.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The physical demands and work environment described is representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform essential functions of this job. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the American with Disabilities Act (A.D.A.) and is not an exhaustive list of the duties performed for this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Additional duties are performed by the individuals currently holding this position and additional duties may be assigned.
West Bonner County School District is an Equal Opportunity Employer