Instructional Aide - Anticipated Opening
Must be highly qualified by:
• Completion of two years of study at an institution of higher learning, or
• An associate's or higher degree,
• Passing the NJ Praxis Pro Assessment
2. Successful experience working with children.
3. Knowledge of diverse needs of children with disabilities and apprpriate special education classroom practices.
4. Required criminal history background check and proof of US citizenship or legal resident alien status
Job Goal: To assist the classroom teacher by working with individual and small groups of disabled students to provide them with physical help and emotional support as needed to gain optimum benefit from the district’s special education program.
Reporting Level: Certified classroom teacher, principal and Director of Special Services
1. Assists in taking care of the physical needs of the special education pupil, including putting on and taking off outerwear, moving from room to room and using the lavatory.
- Assists with individualized instruction and works with small groups of students under the supervision of the special education teacher to reinforce material initially introduced by the teacher.
- Assists, where appropriate, in loading and unloading the special education pupil from transportation buses or vans.
- Completes clerical duties as assigned by the special education classroom teacher.
- Assists pupils with various projects, crafts, and curriculum tasks.
- Helps with the supervision of children on field trips planned by the teacher.
- Assists in playground supervision.
- Engages children in conversation to encourage language development.
- Aids physically handicapped children, particularly those who rely upon appliances and prosthetics.
- Performs other appropriate duties as assigned by the special education teacher or building principal directly related to a good learning experience for special education pupils.
- Works with small groups of students to reinforce material initially introduced by the teacher.
- Attends to personal hygiene needs of the students.
- Participation in parenting program, including discussion groups, IEP conferences, home visits.
Terms of Employment: Ten month position. Salary in accordance with negotiated agreement.