JobID 36756 : Nurse - District-Wide (#373290)
POSITION TITLE: School Nurse
JOB CODE: 000069, 000961, 001069
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR: Principal
Responsible for implementation of health programs, health counseling with pupils, parents, and school personnel, provision of preventive health services, augmentation of health education programs, and liaison with the school community.
- Develops, implements, and monitors health care plans and emergency plans for designated students.
- Participates in program planning to meet the needs of students with special health care needs.
- Utilizes case management and the nursing process to manage the health care of students with chronic illness.
- Provides direct health care, emergency first aid care, medication administration, and related health services according to state laws and HISD policies and procedures.
- Provides preventive health care by: assessing the safety needs of students, conducting state mandated screening programs, including referral and follow-up; recognizing, reporting, and using control measures for communicable diseases; and monitoring and providing follow-up on immunization compliance.
- Provides students and families with health and medical resources and assists families with access to medical care.
- Conducts age-appropriate health programs and activities in collaboration with school staff.
- Counsels students and families on health conditions.
- Collaborates with community agencies and campus staff to implement a comprehensive school health program and the development of campus health program goals.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned
- Registered Nurse (R.N.) with a Bachelor’s of Science in Nursing (BSN)
- Currently licensed as a R.N. in the State of Texas
- CPR/AED Certification
- Minimum requirment of 1 year experience practicing as a regisered nurse.
- The ability to implement emergency care including the ability to independently respond to an emergency, perform CPR, administer emergency medications, and other lifesaving measures within standard practice guidelines.
- The ability to communicate effectively in both written and oral forms, both internally and externally.
- The ability to lift and carry up to 20 pounds, stoop, kneel, crouch, walk, drive and/or be mobile.
- Valid Texas driver’s license with applicable insurance coverage.