Librarian (Future Positions)
Reports to: Principal/Library Coordinator
Dept./School: Assigned Middle School
Wage/Hour Status: Exempt
Pay Grade: Teacher Pay
PRIMARY PURPOSE: Maintains a dynamic and functional library media center and program. Provides instruction, assistance and leadership in identification, location and use of instructional resources for students and teachers.
Master of Library and/or Information Science Degree
Valid Texas Teaching Certificate
Learning Resources Endorsement or School Librarian
Familiarity with all aspects of library and information sciences
Proficient in working with media/computer technologies
Excellent organizational, communication and interpersonal skills
Willingness to execute written employment contract with the Denton ISD
Two years of experience in learning resource center in public schools
Two years experience in classroom teaching in a public or private school
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES DUTIES:
- Provides educational resources in a variety of formats to support and extend the curriculum of the school and to meet individual student needs.
- Collaborates with teachers to plan and provide Library Media Center activities and instruction to correlate with classroom curriculum in information literacy.
- Provides library activities, which extend and enrich the curriculum and which encourage independent, life-long learning.
- Acquires materials not available in the campus Library Media Center through inter-library loan as needed for students and teachers.
- Schedules the use of the library facility, resources and personnel to provide optimal library experiences for students through flexible access.
- Organizes materials and equipment for easy accessibility and use.
- Schedules and circulates needed equipment or resources.
- Promotes care and maintenance of all Library Media Center equipment and resources.
- Prepares budget requests, administer library budgets and maintain appropriate records.
- Promotes ethical behavior in the use of district technology and information sources as demonstrated through responsible actions by students and staff.
- Uses publicity, motivational activities and exhibits/displays to promote an atmosphere conducive to learning.
- Deals sensitively and fairly with all persons.
- Secures and maintains a balanced collection, which supports the basic school program.
- Ensures that teachers and students can access learning resources in a timely, efficient manner.
- Informs teachers of new resources and equipment and facilitates their use.
- Incorporates district policies and procedures into the campus library media center.
- Supports and encourages the implementation of plans for improved student behavior that reflects enhanced opportunities for learning.
- Incorporates district and campus policies and procedures into the campus Library Media Center.
- Complies with all District requirements concerning continuing staff development.
- Utilizes information and insights gained in professional development programs for self-improvement.
- Strives to improve leadership skills through self-initiated professional development activities.
- Demonstrates behavior that is professional, ethical and responsible.
- Encourages and promotes parental, student and community involvement in the Library Media Center program.
- Demonstrates awareness of school/community needs and initiates activities to meet those identified needs.
- Projects a positive image to the community through communication, involvement and personal conduct.
- Follows all rules, regulations and policies of Denton ISD and follow directives from superiors.
- Follows attendance policy as assigned by supervisor.
- Performs other functions that may be assigned by the Administration and/or supervisor.
Mental Demands: Ability to communicate effectively (verbal and written); interprets policy, procedures and data; coordinates district functions; maintains emotional control under stress.
Physical Demands/Environmental Factors: Frequent district-wide and occasional statewide travel; occasional prolonged and irregular hours. Frequent standing, stooping, bending, kneeling, pushing and pulling. Occasional lifting up to 50 pounds. Prolonged use of computer and repetitive hand motions.
SALARY RANGE: Teacher Pay Scale
TERM OF CONTRACT: 197 days per year
APPOINTMENT: The appointment of this position will be recommended to the Board of Trustees by the Superintendent of Schools on the basis of the applicant’s training, experience, and expertise. The Board of Trustees must give final approval.
Interested candidates must complete and submit the Denton ISD on-line Internal Application at www.dentonisd.org. Upload employment credentials and a current résumé detailing experience, qualifications and professional accomplishments.
Out of District Applicants
Interested candidates must complete and submit the Denton ISD on-line application at www.dentonisd.org. Upload employment credentials and a current résumé detailing experience, qualifications and professional accomplishments.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Position will remain vacant until qualified applicant is employed.
THE DENTON INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.