Reports to: Director of Transportation
Pay Grade: Auxiliary - 6
PRIMARY PURPOSE: Ensures safe and orderly transportation of students on assigned route. Operates school bus that transports students and other authorized personnel to and from schools or other designated location.
Valid Texas commercial driver’s license (Class B)
Must be 18 years of age
Ability to pass alcohol and drug test
Ability to complete required bus driver safety training
Ability to follow written and verbal instructions
Ability to communicate effectively
Knowledge of student discipline procedure
Ability to manage student behavior
Ability to operate bus
MAJOR RESPONSIBLITIES AND DUTIES:
- Follows assigned route and adhere to established schedules.
- Drives bus to and from extracurricular activities.
- Checks bus for mechanical defects before and after each operation and notify supervisor of needed repairs.
- Reports all accidents, vehicle damage, student injuries and mechanical failures. Completes required reports.
- Keeps assigned bus clean and fueled.
- Supervises students while they board and leave the bus and cross the street.
- Communicates with teachers and parents on a daily basis regarding student behavior while on bus.
- Maintains discipline; reports student discipline problems to appropriate administrator.
- Instructs students on safe riding rules and regulations.
- Observes all traffic laws and safety regulations for school buses.
- Inspects bus by checking fuel, oil, water, tires, lights, brakes and steering to ensure bus can be operated safely before driving.
- Ensures proper condition of emergency equipment, such as first aid kit, fire extinguisher, flags, fuses, crow bar and reflector.
- Corrects unsafe conditions in work area that could cause an accident and inform supervisory of any conditions that are not correctable immediately.
- Installs snow chains during inclement weather.
- Reports any hazardous conditions along the route.
- Operates two-way radio equipment to communicate with transportation office.
- Works irregular hours as needed.
- Attends and completes required training program to maintain safety certification.
Mental Demands/Physical Demands/Environmental Factors:
Maintains emotional control. Continual sitting, reaching, and repetitive hand and arm motions. Works outside and inside; moderate exposure to extreme temperature (hot) and vehicle fumes.
Minimum Annual Salary: $12,960
DUTY DAYS: 180 days per year
APPOINTMENT: The appointment of this position will be recommended to the Board of Trustees by the Superintendent of Schools on the basis of the applicant’s training, experience, and expertise. The Board of Trustees must give final approval.
APPLICATION PROCEDURES: District Employees
Interested candidates must complete and submit the Denton ISD on-line Internal Application at www.dentonisd.org. Upload employment credentials and a current résumé detailing experience, qualifications and professional accomplishments.
Out of District ApplicantsInterested candidates must complete and submit the Denton ISD on-line External Application at
www.dentonisd.org. Upload employment credentials and a current résumé detailing experience, qualifications and professional accomplishments.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Position will remain vacant until qualified applicant is employed.
THE DENTON INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER