JobID 230 : Middle School Math Teacher (#368990)
Grades 5 MATH TEACHER
SCHOOL PROFILE: University Heights Charter School (UHCS) is an anchor education instution that seeks to develop in each child the character, scholarship, and leadership necessary for success in life, college, and community. Celebrating its tenth year, UHCS serves 650 students in grades PreK-8 in Newark, NJ, with a high-need demographic that is over 85% low income. UHCS seeks dynamic, dedicated, and determined educators who believe all children can achieve at high levels and can close the achievement gap. In addition to excellent instruction, including diverse special education services, the school also provides extensive medical, social, and therapeutic support. Our co-curricular classes and activities include a sports program, string instrument music partnership with the NJ Symphony Orchestra, and drama performances.
- Valid New Jersey Certification K-6 certification.
- Demonstrated organizational, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Required criminal history background check and proof of U.S. citizenship or legal resident alien status.
- New Jersey residency.
- Minimum 2 years experience teaching math with proven results preferred.
JOB GOAL: To teach the approved program in mathematics in grade 5.
- Plans, in accordance with established procedures both a program of study and lessons which are consistent with the approved course of study and which meet the individual needs, interests and abilities of students.
- Implements by instruction and action the School's philosophy of education and the State and School's instructional goals and objectives.
- Ensures satisfactory pupil progress and growth toward stated objectives of instruction.
- Employs instructional method and materials that are most appropriate for meeting stated objectives including positive attitudes toward learning.
- Develops effective procedures for the operation and management of the classroom and for following routine school procedures.
- Establishes and maintains appropriate student behavior in the classroom, school building and school grounds and exercises due care for the health, safety and well-being of the students in accordance with the philosophy and rules of the school.
- Assesses pupils in accordance with School testing policy and program, interprets the results and utilizes the information obtained for planning instruction, for reporting student growth and progress, and for improving curriculum.
- Assists in curriculum development and in the selection of books, equipment and other instructional materials.
- Works toward professional growth and meets the role model standards of a professional educator.
- Maintains cordial and workable professional and social relationships with other members of the professional and non-professional staff and with students, parents and community members.
- Displays respect towards the rights and feelings of students, thereby encouraging students to develop attitudes of respect for the rights, feelings, opinions and property of others.
- Confers, as necessary and/or desirable, with students and parents to foster a constructive student-teacher and parent-teacher relationship.
- Accurately maintains appropriate student records and submits required reports within designated time limits.
- Effectively contributes in a reasonable manner to the overall after school functions and student activities of his/her school unit.
- Gives proper attention to the care and protection of school property and uses material economically.
- Adheres to and promotes the philosophy and objectives of the school, the administrative staff and the Board of Education and interprets the policies and program of the school in a positive and constructive manner.
- Performs such other duties as may be assigned by the administrative staff in accordance with the contractual agreement or policies of the Board of Trustees.