Substitute Teacher Assistant
Description: Substitute Teacher Assistant-Special Education
To assist the classroom teacher by working with individual and small groups of disabled students to provide them with physical help and emotional support as needed to gain optimum benefit from the District's Special Education program.
1. High School Diploma; college-level coursework in education or related field*
2. Minimum experience as determined by the Board
3. Demonstrated ability to assist with instructional activities and to communicate effectively with students, parents and school staff
4. Knowledge of diverse needs of children with disabilities and appropriate Special Education classroom practices
5. Required criminal history check and proof of U.S. citizenship or legal resident alien status
*In programs funded with federal Title I funds, or in District-wide Title I Districts, all paraprofessionals (teaching assistants) hired after January 8, 2002 must complete at least two years of college, obtain an associate's degree or higher, or pass an evaluation to demonstrate the knowledge and ability to assist in teaching reading, writing, and math.
Sussex-Wantage Regional School District is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Sussex-Wantage Regional School District ensures equal employment opportunities regardless of race, creed, gender, color, national origin, religion, age, sexual orientation or disability. Sussex-Wantage Regional School District has a policy of active recruitment of qualified minority teachers and non-certified employees. Any individual needing assistance in making application for any opening should contact the Department of Human Resources.