Tutors are needed for all subject areas to work with students who are unable to attend school for a prolonged period of time. Tutors of high school students generally work with students two hours a week per subject. Depending on need, tutoring can take place in a variety of settings including public library, student’s home, or even the high school. Responsibilities include:
- Providing instruction using the curriculum provided by the student’s teacher and assisting students with teacher provided assignments.
- Communicating with school personnel on a regular basis
- Working with families to schedule tutoring appointments at a mutually convenient time
- Providing feedback to students using positive reinforcement techniques to motivate, encourage and build confidence
- Participating in a training session to learn techniques to better work with medically and emotionally fragile students