JobID 151 : Long Term Substitute Teacher (#367714)
THUNDERBIRD PREPARATORY ACADEMY
Thunderbird Preparatory Academy is a tuition-free public charter school located in Cornelius, NC. In 2016/2017, we will be serving grades K-6. Our focus is to provide whole-student development utilizing the following education practices: Strengths and leadership based development and the Core Knowledge curriculum. We are currently seeking an Long Term Substitute Teacher to join our team!*
JOB TITLE: long-term substitute Elementary & Middle School (K-6)
This posting is for a long-term substitute Elementary & Middle School (K-6). This position is temporary and will begin August 17th and end on May 7th.
Competitive candidate plans and provides for appropriate learning experiences for students in a variety of educational settings. The person in this position is responsible for creating a flexible program and learning environment that provides specialized instruction for students, such that the students benefit from curriculum to the greatest extent possible when supported with supplemental aids, accommodations, and other needed supports.
The successful candidate will encourage students to grow in knowledge and understanding. This teacher will supervise students in academic classes and will also supervise students in numerous extra- and co-curricular activities of the school. This teacher will demonstrate a commitment to the well-being of all TPA students and to the best interests of the school as a whole.
- Provide support in several content area courses.
- Able to provide support in a small group or one on one environment.
- Assist students who are having difficulty preparing and turning in assignments.
- Facilitate the use of a daily planner and to reinforce the need for daily planning in achieving success.
- Implement study strategies, accommodation and/or modifications as necessary.
- Review class notes and check for accuracy and preparedness for class.
- Assist in planning for long-range assignments and projects.
- Maintain weekly communication with parents with regard to student progress through email, PowerSchool, and phone contact.
- Make use of class time to study, review, or to begin homework if planning and goal work are complete.
- Incorporate study skills, which work for the individual student in order for the student to become an independent learner.
- Ensure that the student understands all school rules governing behavior, attendance, and overall attitude will apply.
- Appreciates and enjoys interacting with preadolescents and partnering with families in their student’s academic and character development.
- Shows evidence of organization, self-motivation, punctuality, and collegiality.
- Shows evidence of effective communication and interaction with all constituencies within the school.
- Shows evidence of a willingness to contribute to the life of an independent school community.
- Possesses the patience, nurturing character attributes, and sense of humor to effectively influence and engage students of this special and endearing age group.
- Embraces innovation and creativity.
- Report directly to the Managing Director
Experience and education requirements:
- Four-year degree required; Certification preferred.
- Commensurate with experience.
Job Type: Full-time
- Certification or degree related to early childhood or elementary education is desirable, but not mandatory.
- Working with kids in an educational setting: 1 year