Teacher of Gifted (TD) K-6
THUNDERBIRD PREPARATORY ACADEMY
Thunderbird Preparatory Academy is a tuition-free public charter school located in Cornelius, NC. In 2016/2017, we will be serving grades K-6. Our focus is to provide whole-student development utilizing the following education practices: Strengths and leadership based development and the Core Knowledge curriculum. We are currently seeking a TEACHER OF GIFTED to join our team!
JOB TITLE: TEACHER OF GIFTED
This employee is responsible for organizing, implementing, and supporting modified instructional strategies to meet the needs of gifted students in gifted and/or basic education classes.
Duties of this position include but are not limited to:
- Designing or selecting appropriate instructional modifications for gifted students and coordinating these activities with other teachers as appropriate.
- Continuing professional growth through education meetings, visiting related facilities, reading professional literature, and exchanging ideas among the district staff.
- Working in coordination with other teachers in planning and developing the program.
- Preparing, implementing, and evaluating an annual educational plan for each student based on individually assessed needs in accordance with district procedures.
- Preparing lesson plans for each group of students.
- Providing appropriate schedules for exceptional students involving school personnel as required.
- Seeking a variety of services through community resources and agencies to meet the needs of exceptional students.
- Developing and monitoring the modified strategies for the students in coordination with the basic and gifted teachers as appropriate.
- Providing direct consultation to basic education teachers on how to implement strategies.
- Team teaching with basic teachers to support gifted students when appropriate.
- Participating in the in-school staffing and screening process as appropriate.
- Participating on evaluation teams for gifted students as appropriate.
- Providing specialized instruction to individual and small groups of gifted students when necessary to support learning the content areas.
- Assisting in the selection of books, equipment and other instructional materials.
- Taking all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, materials, equipment and facilities.
- Seeking a variety of services through community resources and agencies to meet the needs of gifted students.
- Cooperating with school personnel in coordinating gifted services within that school.
- Conferring with basic education teachers as requested concerning any educational needs of students.
- Developing and conducting necessary inservice programs to inform basic education classroom teachers of the goals and objectives of the gifted program where appropriate.
- Providing information to community groups, parents, and news media concerning gifted programs as requested or needed and as approved by the immediate supervisor.
- Providing specialized instructional techniques through individual or group sessions designed to meet the educational needs of students.
- Conferring with other teachers concerning any educational needs of gifted students.
- Working to establish and maintain open lines of communication with students and their parents concerning the broad academic and behavioral progress of all assigned students.
- Insuring that each student in the program has necessary evaluation and consultation records in his/her permanent folder.
- Completing progress reports on each student as needed.
- Completing reports for appropriate local and state educational agencies. Referring those students who require further evaluation or follow-up services to the appropriate school personnel or community agencies.
- Documenting ongoing consultation with basic education teachers and maintaining a record of modified instructional strategies and results for each student where appropriate.
- Attending and participating in faculty meeting or other meetings as required.
- Bachelor's degree.
- Master's preferred
- Valid NC gifted certification or endorsement, or will meet D.O.E. certification requirements for out-of-field teachers.
- Graduate hours beyond bachelor's degree.
- Classroom teaching experience.
- Experience in a like position.
Term of Employment:
- 12 month Salary
The foregoing statements describe the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job and are not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties that may be assigned or skills that may be required.
Job Type: Contract
Job Location: Cornelius, NC
Required education: Bachelor's
Required experience: Assessment: 1 year
Required license or certification: NC Licesure