Part time Art Teacher
THUNDERBIRD PREPARATORY ACADEMY
Thunderbird Preparatory Academy is a tuition-free public charter school located in Cornelius, NC. In 2016/2017, we will be serving grades K-6. Our focus is to provide whole student development utilizing the following education practices: Strengths and leadership based development and the Core Knowledge curriculum. We are currently seeking a Part-Time Art Teacher to join our team!
JOB TITLE: Part-Time Art Teacher
The Art Teacher will be responsible for developing in each student an interest in and the ability for creative expression in visual terms, using skills and techniques of artistic expression consistent with school guidelines; to develop aesthetic understandings and appreciations; to discover and develop talents of students in the field of art.
- To design and implement lesson plans and activities that demonstrate knowledge of art and design concepts, a variety of media and materials, and a broad range of art history.
- Promote the Thunderbird Preparatory Academy philosophy through students’ self-expression and exploration while deepening their knowledge and understanding of visual arts
- A relevant bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year university or college.
- Some experience working with choice schools (Charter, Private, or Magnet) preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal and performance skills.
The Art Teacher will perform all or some of the following Job description:
- Teach knowledge and skills in art, including drawing, painting, lettering, and art history,
- Instruct students in citizenship and basic subject matter specified in state law and administrative regulations and procedures of the school
- Provide instruction by which students develop aesthetic concepts and appreciations and the ability to make qualitative judgments about art
- Demonstrate techniques in activities such as drawing and painting
- Understand the versatility of acrylic paints: dry brushing, staining, layering, underpainting, monoprinting
- Understand a variety of “masters” techniques
- Knows and can apply elements of design and modern principles of art
- Knows the fundamentals and different approaches to drawing media technique
- Provide individual and small-group instruction to adapt the curriculum to the needs of students with varying intellectual and artistic abilities, and to accommodate a variety of instructional activities
- Instruct students in proper care and use of tools and equipment
- Organize storage areas and control use of materials, equipment, and tools to prevent loss or abuse, and to minimize time required for distribution and collection
- Evaluate each student’s performance and growth in knowledge and aesthetic understandings, and prepare progress reports
- Select and requisition books, instructional materials, tools, instructional aids, and maintain required inventory records
- Plan and present art displays and exhibitions designed to exhibit students’ work for the school and the community
- May sponsor exhibits from outside the school
- Maintain professional competence through in-service education activities provided by the school and/or in self-selected professional growth activities
- Communicate with parents and school counselors on pupil progress
- Participate in curriculum and other developmental programs, such as after-school art club
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned by Administration
- Actively participates in Professional Learning Communities with other special area teachers as well as classroom teachers and administration
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: May 10th 2017
Job Type: Part-time
- Masters Perfered
- Creative Direction: 1 year
- Teaching: 1 year
Required license or certification:
- NC Art Certification