Part time/Fulltime Spanish Teacher K-7
THUNDERBIRD PREPARATORY ACADEMY
Thunderbird Preparatory Academy is a tuition-free public charter school located in Cornelius, NC. In 2016/2017, we will be serving grades K-6. Our focus is to provide whole-student development utilizing the following education practices: Strengths and leadership based development and the Core Knowledge curriculum. We are currently seeking a Spanish teacher to join our team!
JOB TITLE: CLASSROOM SPANISH TEACHER
We are seeking candidates for a part-time Spanish teaching position for the 2017-2018 school year to implement a classroom Spanish program for students in K-5th grade that involves Spanish vocabulary, culture, pronunciation as well as reading, writing, and listening skills. Provide on-going and timely feedback to learners regarding their mastery of the language. Design a spiraling curriculum that builds by grade-level to prepare students for higher language mastery in middle and high school.
The ideal candidate will have Advanced Mid or higher proficiency in Spanish and be fluent in English. This person will will be instrumental in contributing to the growth of the World Language curriculum. Preference will be given to applicants who have knowledge of the ACTFL Proficiency Standards, who currently teach to the three modes of communication, who are dedicated to creating lessons and activities centered around the learner, possess proficient technology skills, and who implement authentic materials in the World Language classroom.The ideal candidate is adaptive and willing to adjust to differing student needs. In addition, this person must be highly organized, efficient, and someone who relates well with students, faculty, and parents and above all puts students first.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Plans and implements a program of instruction that adheres to the company’s philosophy, goals and objectives as outlined in the adopted courses of study.
- Makes purposeful and appropriate lesson plans which provide for effective teaching strategies and maximizes time on task.
- Presents subject matter to students to maximize learning opportunity and provides real-world, application based examples and learning opportunities.
- Reviews student records in order to develop a foundation of understanding regarding each student’s abilities and needs. Maintain accurate and complete student records.
- Strives to maximize the educational achievement of each student.
- Utilizes a variety/range of student learning modalities in each lesson and uses differentiated instruction within those lessons.
- Utilizes diagnostic assessment of student learning on a frequent basis.
- Maintains accurate and completes student records.
- Assesses student strengths and weaknesses on a frequent basis, provides appropriate activities to address student needs and generates progress reports as required.
- Refers students with suspected learning problems to appropriate support personnel.
- Assigns lessons, corrects student work product and reviews oral presentations.
- Coordinates class field trips (as required).
- Prepares students for state required achievement assessments.
- Keeps current in subject matter knowledge and learning theory and is willing to share this knowledge for the continual improvement of the school's curriculum.
- Assists in the on-going curriculum revision process, including the revision of written courses of study.
- Assists in the selection of books, equipment, and other instructional materials.
- Becomes acquainted with supplemental services beneficial to students as an extension of regular classroom activities.
Provide a Classroom Environment Conducive to Learning
- Creates a classroom environment that is conducive to learning and appropriate to the maturity and interests of students.
- Maintains positive rapport with students; demonstrates patience and appropriate nurturing to assist in the growth of the child.
- Ensures classroom is clean, safe and includes student generated work on display as appropriate.
- Implements all relevant policies governing student conduct.
- Develops reasonable rules of classroom/playground behavior in accordance with Thunderbird policy and guidelines, and maintains order in the classroom in a fair and consistent manner.
- Develops lesson plans consistent with established guidelines and goals.
- Plans individual and / group learning activities designed to meet instructional objective and students needs.
- Prepares for classes assigned and shows evidence of preparation upon request of supervisory personnel.
- Participates with other staff members in curriculum planning during designated meetings.
- Incorporates into planning all diagnostic information as required in the student’s Individual Education Plan (IEP).
- Takes all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect supplies, equipment, materials and facilities needed to implement effectively the planned instructional program.
- Strives to establish cooperative relations and makes reasonable effort to communicate with parents/guardians when appropriate.
- Communicates clearly, consistently and positively with parents via all appropriate mediums.
- Cooperates with members of the administration, other staff and with Thunderbird.
- Maintains confidentiality regarding student records.
- Participates in parent communication activities.
- Participates in extracurricular activities to ensure a positive school culture and provide support for students and staff (as required).
**MAY PERFORM OTHER DUTIES AS ASSIGNED**
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- Demonstrates enthusiasm and commitment toward the position and the mission of the company; support the company’s values in the strategic areas of academic excellence, operational performance, superior culture, and financial health and growth, as outlined in the Employee Handbook.
- Possesses strong time management & organizational skills and the ability to prioritize effectively.
- Has the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with teachers, students, parents, the community, and administrative staff. Is sensitive to sensitive to corporate needs, employee goodwill, and the public image, as unique situations present themselves.
- Possesses excellent interpersonal skills and displays such between all stakeholders: being courteous, professional, and helpful.
- Possesses excellent communication skills: Oral (including presentations), Written, Interpersonal (active listening), Negotiating and Influencing.
- Has the ability to be at work consistently, to be on time, to follow instructions, to respond to management direction and to solicit feedback to improve performance.
- Demonstrates proficient experience with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), Student Information System (SIS) and email communications.
- Looks for ways to improve and promote quality and demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness.
- Strives to implement best practices and positive character education consistently.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Light work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force as frequently as needed to move objects.
To implement a classroom Spanish program for students in K-5th grade that involves Spanish vocabulary, culture, pronunciation as well as reading, writing, and listening skills. Provide on-going and timely feedback to learners regarding their mastery of the language. Design a spiraling curriculum that builds by grade-level to prepare students for higher language mastery in middle and high school.
- Valid state teacher certificate required with specific endorsement in the assigned area or equivalent.
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year university or college.
- Some experience working with choice schools (Charter, Private, or Magnet) preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with families and community members.
REPORTS TO: Managing Director/Principal
- Develops and implements an instructional plan which is compatible with the Thunderbird vision. Integrates language development and mastery across the curriculum and grade levels.
- Designs and implements activities that are purposeful and support the purpose of mastery of the Spanish language.
- Integrates thematic units into lesson planning so students acquire a holistic view of the Spanish language and culture.
- Possesses the ability to effectively communicate with parents, staff, and students concerning goals and plans outlined in the special area and language mastery curriculums.
- Actively participates in staff meetings, in-service training, and Professional Learning Communities concerning student development and school-wide initiatives.
- Effectively utilizes common assessments to determine student performance levels and adjusts instruction to ensure mastery.
- Uses technological resources to enhance the experience and immersion into in the Spanish culture.
- Assumes responsibility for extra-curricular activities involving the Spanish program.
- Presents a positive attitude and invigorates and motivates students to continue their exploration of foreign language.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: 10 MONTH POSITION
Candidates must posess two years experience in the folowing catagories will be considered
- Bachelor's degree, Masters perfered
- Posess a Valid state teacher certificate required with specific endorsement in the assigned area or equivalent.
- Minimum of one (1) to three (3) years successful teaching experience (may include Student Teaching Internship experience).
- Command of grades/subject specific content and theoretical knowledge of learning theory, including motivation, reinforcement, evaluation and feedback techniques.
- Understanding of and commitment to company values.
- Successful results of criminal and employment background check.
- Effective instructional delivery techniques and excellent communication skills.
- Adherence to the requirements of the Code of Ethics for the Education Profession.
- Such alternatives to the above requirements as CSUSA may find appropriate and acceptable
- Teaching and supervisory experience
- Experience working with Charter, Private, or Magnet preferred
- Developing and implemeningt instructional plan
- Designing and implementing activities that are purposeful and support the purpose of mastery of the Spanish language.
- Integrating thematic units into lesson planning so students acquire a holistic view of the Spanish language and culture.
- Using technological resources to enhance the experience and immersion into in the Spanish culture.